Formal meetings with your supervisor should take place at least twice each term. Your supervisor is responsible for helping you to manage your research, and meetings should discuss your progress in depth and make plans for your next steps. You should keep a detailed record of your meetings in Skillsforge to be agreed with your supervisor.


Thesis Advisory Panel (TAP)

Your TAP consists of your supervisor and at least one other member of academic staff from your department. As a Research student you will meet with your TAP twice a year (once every six months) for a review of your research progress and an evaluation of your personal development plan. You should prepare a TAP preparation form in Skillsforge in advance of the meeting. A record of the meeting will be kept in Skillsforge and signed electronically by you and your TAP. At the TAP meeting you should complete a Review of Supervision form with another member of your TAP, without your supervisor present. This form is confidential.

Forms and further guidance are available on the Graduate Research School supervision and TAP webpages.


Confirmation of enrolment

Research students embarking on a PhD are initially enrolled only provisionally. It is up to your TAP to recommend whether or not your enrolment should be confirmed. A confirmation of enrolment is determined by a two-part examination, comprising a written submission and an oral examination. This is administered by a Confirmation Panel, usually within eighteen months for full-time PhD students. Please refer to the detailed confirmation of enrolment information on the Graduate Research School pages, confirmation of enrolment forms can be found here. The completed form will be uploaded to evision.


How to submit theses and dissertations

As a research student you will be assessed entirely or almost entirely on your final thesis or dissertation, and will then have to defend your work in an oral examination known as a viva.

Guidance on the presentation and submission of theses for research degree programmes is found here. You will need to submit copies of your thesis for examination, and it is important that you present your work according to the University's specifications on formatting and binding. If you require extra time to write up your thesis after ending your formal enrolment at the University there is further information on the continuation of studies page.


Useful links

Academic progression

Policy, forms and documents for supervision, TAP, confirmation of enrolment, submission of thesis and deposit of final thesis.