These scholarships are open to pupils from schools and colleges in the Yorkshire and Humber region, who are applying to any UK university (not just York) for entry in September 2020.
The scholarships are worth a one-off payment of £1,500 in year 1 and are funded by the Holbeck Charitable Trust in partnership with the Excellence Hub for Yorkshire and Humber.
They are aimed at talented students who may have faced challenging circumstances (social, personal or educational) and have successfully applied to university perhaps in the face of adversity.
The application process is competitive with a limited number of scholarships available.
For help with your application please see the Holbeck Scholarship Guidance Notes (PDF , 147kb)
Open to UK students only.
The scholarships are administered by York, but eligible students could be applying to attend any higher education institution in the UK.
Eligible students must:
- attend school/college in the Yorkshire and Humber region
- be engaged in the UCAS application process, applying to commence their first year of university study in 2020
- have predicted grades of ABB or better at A-Level or equivalent
- have the drive to attend university and complete a course.
Eligible students must also meet at least two of the following conditions:
- be in receipt of, or entitled to, discretionary payments at school/college, or has a household income below £42,875
- have no experience of higher education in their immediate family (not including siblings)
- have faced significant difficulties in their personal, social or domestic life that have placed extra demands upon them.
Application deadline: Friday 15 May 2020, 11.59pm BST
Please complete our online application form using the Apply Now button at the top of this page.
The Holbeck scholarship gave me not only financial assistance but also confidence to try harder at University. Also having a useful network to use to arrange interviews and advice for recruitment stages was priceless. The scholarship has also helped me secure various interviews showing that I have been able to prove my academic ability through hardship.
Holbeck scholarship recipient