Help with living costs 2019/20

Most UK students and eligible EU nationals coming to university for the first time are entitled to government support for living costs. 

If you're from England

If your funding body is Student Finance England and you're a full time student you can apply for a maintenance loan (  to help with living expenses. You have to pay the loan back. You need to re-apply for the loan each year of study.

The loan is paid into your bank account in three instalments in October, January and April. Just in case your loan is delayed, make sure you have enough money to last you for the first few weeks of term.

Loan amounts for 2019/20 entry are:

  • up to £7,529 if you live with your parents
  • up to £8,944 if you're living away from home outside London

You can use the student finance calculator ( to estimate your loan.

Apply now for 2019/20


Along with tuition fee loans, you don't start paying it back ( until you're earning over £25,000.

Extra help

In addition to the maintenance loan you may qualify for extra help ( if any of the following apply to you:

  • You have children or dependent adults
  • You have a disability
  • You're a medical or social work student

If you’re an EU national

You may be eligible to apply for help with living costs. You’ll need to have lived in the UK for more than five years before the first day of the first academic year of your course.

Find out more about getting help with living costs (

If you're from Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Jersey, Guernsey or the Isle of Man 

The maintenance loan rates and repayment processes are different if you're a student from Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Channel Islands (Jersey, Guernsey) and the Isle of Man. Contact the relevant education authority for more information.

Cost of living in York

Plan your budget using our living costs guide.