Skip to content Accessibility statement

Information for parents

Data protection
Working under Data protection legislation we have a duty to protect the privacy of our students. As students are classed as adults, parents and carers become third parties.

We're not able to give specific information about a student, including their address or whether their rent has been paid to a third party. We encourage students to communicate with us directly. However, if your child wants you to discuss their accommodation situation with us they can give their permission via email or telephone.


Preparing for the first year

Undergraduates who want to live in University accommodation, whether York is their first or insurance choice, are guaranteed a room as long as they apply for accommodation by the deadline dates stated online. They do not have to wait to receive their A level results - they should apply as soon as our application system opens. Discover more about the application process on our how to apply page.

All University accommodation is located within a University college and your child will become part of that college community when they accept their room offer and move in. Your child will benefit from the support system offered by their college throughout their time studying with us. Find out more about the college system and student life in general on our life on campus page. 

Within each college there is a range of accommodation. When choosing accommodation, you should discuss with your son or daughter factors that will affect them such as:

  • If they are happy cooking for themselves. If not, there is a catered option which provides them with breakfast and dinner Monday to Friday. We also provide a Meals in advance deal.
  • If they are happy to share bathroom facilities with their flatmates. If students would like their own bathroom, there are a number of ensuite rooms available. 

These factors will affect the cost of their rent per week, so talk through every option. It is a good idea to talk about how they would feel if they didn't get allocated into their top preference of room and how open they would be to a different option.

  • Our colleges, rooms and prices page provides you with detailed information about the room types and how much they cost.
  • Our arrivals page and what to bring page will give you an idea of what to get ready for when you son/daughter arrives  at University. 

Charges and payments

  • Rent is inclusive of bills, internet and contents insurance which is provided by Cover4Students.
  • An advance online payment is required when a room offer is accepted. 
  • Rent is usually paid in three termly instalments in October, January and May. If you are paying for the accommodation, you can set up a direct debit after a room booking has been accepted, or make individual payments.

Make a payment

Before your child applies for accommodation it's a good idea to talk about what funding they will be receiving and how this will affect their monthly/termly budget. 

We would advise you talk through the costs involved for the rooms so when your son or daughter lists preferences in their application, they are within their price range.

2nd year and beyond

Private sector

We understand that your child may wish to move into private sector accommodation and there are plenty of options around the city.

The extra responsibilities involved in living in the private sector can be stressful. It's worth talking about these responsibilities with your son or daughter so that they are prepared.

Some things to consider regarding private sector accommodation are:

  • Tenancy agreements for shared houses usually ask tenants to accept joint and several liability. If one tenant does not pay their rent, the landlord can ask the remaining tenants to pay extra rent.
  • Rent usually does not include utilities or internet charges.
  • Rent is usually charged throughout the summer.
  • A guarantor and a month's deposit is usually required to acquire a room in a house.

You can find detailed information about living in the private sector on our accommodation help pages. 

Placement students

Going out on placement / Exchange Visit

If your child accepts a University room for the next academic year and subsequently secures a placement or wants to go on an exchange programme, they can be released from their University accommodation if they notify Accommodation Services in accordance with their residence agreement.  

Returning from placement / Exchange Visit

When your child returns from a placement or a year abroad they might find that many of their friends have graduated and left York. We would encourage students in this situation to apply for University accommodation as a continuing student. Our application dates are advertised on our website during the Autumn term.

If they are returning part way through the year from an exchange visit they should email or call us on +44 (0)1904 322165 for information on how to apply for University accommodation.

Under 18s

While we offer strong pastoral support throughout our colleges and we take wellbeing of our students very seriously, we do not assume parental responsibility for a student under the age of 18.

Your child will be living in an adult environment and we expect them to be prepared for this. For example, we do not expect students to inform us if they are going to be away overnight. We would advise you to talk to your child about any expectations they might have coming to University and the best way to prepare. 

Students under the age of 17 at the start of the academic year

The University has a more extensive duty of care to these students. If your son or daughter will be under 17 at the start of the academic year, you should contact us to get specific information regarding accommodation arrangements and the application process.

Contact details

Accommodation Services

Tel: +44 (0)1904 322165

Connect with us:

Useful Links

T&Cs (Your contract)

Residents' Handbook (PDF , 939kb)

Help with accommodation

Colleges, rooms and prices