Being a classroom assistant is the foundation of York Students in Schools. Each term schools ask us for support in their classrooms. This could be with a specific subject, assistance with one to one reading, supporting a pupil with special educational needs or just being an extra pair of hands to help! See all the types of roles available: School Placement Choices Document (PDF , 268kb)
As a classroom assistant you will be a role model to young people, discover more about the city you are studying in and gain experience to boost your skills and confidence to build your CV. There is no previous experience necessary and you can get involved at any stage of your university career.
Your placement - step by step guide
1. Apply for a Summer Term placement via Careers Gateway
2. Complete a DBS Check between Week 6 and Week 8 of Spring Term
3. Attend pre-placement training in Week 9 or 10 of Spring Term
4. We will email you with your placement allocation by the end of Spring Term
5. Go along to your induction visit in Week 2 of Summer Term
6. Collect your logbook, badge and bus tickets (if required)
7. Volunteer for 7 weeks (Weeks 3-10 of Summer Term, no volunteering during schools half term week)
8. Have your logbook stamped
9. Complete your end of placement review
Please get in touch with the Volunteering Team any time if you have a question or concern. Email email@example.com or call 01904 323264.