Information for International Students


Tier 4 Students

Students on a Tier 4 visa cannot be self-employed. If you applied for your Tier 4 immigration permission on or after 6 April 2016, you must not "engage in business activity". For example, if you are not an employee, you must not work for a business in which you have a financial or other significant beneficial interest.

Tier 4 students are welcome to attend our Workshops and Events, but they are unable to receive funding or prizes for their business ideas if they plan to be based in the UK. International students are welcome to meet with the enterprise officer to find out more about what we can offer. You can book an Enterprise Appointment through the Careers Gateway.

Startup Visa

In April 2019, the UK government replaced the Tier 1 Graduate Entreprenuer visa with the Startup Visa. You can find out more information on the website, and the UKCISA website.

The University of York will endorse recent graduates (within two years) from the University of York who meet the criteria set out in the government's guidance.

The University is currently reviewing its application processes, this review is expected to be complete by Summer 2019. If you have any questions, please email