Discover other sectors
This sector not for you? Don't worry, there are plenty of others to explore.
Information for this sector includes careers in law enforcement, prison services, probation and rehabilitation, and trading standards.
You may also be interested in information on legal services.
Find out about criminal justice careers
Prospects Law enforcement and security
See the following links for information about:
Keep up with news and developments by reading
- The Guardian criminal justice section
- News articles from professional organisations
Skills and qualities
You are likely to need some or all of the following skills and attributes for work in this sector:
- Communication skills (written and spoken)
- Ability to assimilate and communicate information (eg legislation, data)
- Empathy and non-judgmental approach
- Negotiation and motivational skills
- Ability to stay calm under pressure
- Teamwork and collaboration
- Problem solving
- Project management
- Investigation and observation
- Community and customer focus
Look for work experience to help you develop the skills, and demonstrate the personal qualities, needed for a career in this sector. Work experience, paid or voluntary, with vulnerable groups or those with challenging behaviour will be particularly valuable.
- Unlocked two year graduate programme for UK prison service
- Police Now two year graduate leadership programme
What can I do at York?
- Make the most of any chances to build relevant skills - getting involved in college life, societies or part-time work will give you opportunities to use communication skills, team building, negotiation and planning skills for example.
- Volunteer with Careers and Placements volunteering projects. Think about the groups you might work with in your future job and get experience with them - projects related to young people, the elderly, and mental health will all help.
- City of York Council advertise for volunteers, including Appropriate Adults (occasional demand) and volunteers for the Youth Offending Team
- YUSU Nightsafe scheme (recruits end of spring term for the following academic year, and offers comprehensive training)
- You could also consider volunteering in victim support or with the police.
- Use York profiles and mentors - find police profiles in "Armed forces and emergency services" sector
More resources: networks, podcasts and blogs
Networks and accounts to follow
Connect with York graduates on York Profiles and Mentors
Find the full list of graduate profiles on York Profiles and Mentors.
Social media accounts
Podcasts and blogs
Keep up to date with the sector and learn about types of jobs available with this podcast:
Other news and blogs