An exclusive programme for Social Sciences students to kickstart your career
Departments of Economics, Education, Law, Management, PEP, Politics, Sociology, Social Policy and Social Work. Social Political Science, Women's Studies, HYMS
|Your Social Sciences Careers and Placements team|
Faculty Employability Manager
Postgraduate qualification in Careers Guidance.
Worked in schools and colleges, with a focus on raising aspirations and widening participation.
Ten years experience in universities supporting students and staff including researchers.
Currently training as a professional coach.
|Philippa (Pip) Rackstraw
MA from University of York, Archaeology.
Postgraduate qualification in Career Guidance and Development.
Previous experience in Graduate and Contractor Recruitment .
Activities this term open to all Social Sciences students
York Strengths Development Days - First year students
Finding your strengths - what you are good at and what you love to do - will help you make decisions for your future.
Attending a York Strengths Development Day is the best way to learn more about yourself and plan to get the most out of your time at York.
Bookings open on Thursday 16 January for Development Days in weeks 5 and 6. All first years will be invited to book by email. First come, first served.
Departmental and Faculty events
- Your (professional) digital footprint and LinkedIn, Wed 22 January, 13.30-14.30, LFA/144
- Explore careers in well-being, Mon 27 January,16.45-18.30, AEW/104
- Searching for jobs online, Wed 29 January, 13.00-14.00, LFA/144
- Alternatives to Teaching, Wed 4 March, 17.00-18.00, P/X/001
Careers in... Professional business services / Social mission / Journalism, publishing and writing
- Careers in... Three parallel sessions with employers and alumni exploring different job sectors, Wed 19 February, 18.15-20.30, Physics Exhibition Centre
Events for all students
- Graduation to employment - employability support for students on the autism spectrum, weeks 3-10, Wednesdays 13.30-15.30. Contact email@example.com to book a place.
- Assessment Centre Experience, Tues 21 January, 18.00-21.00, Physics Exhibition Centre - find out what's involved in an assessment centre, and how you can demonstrate skills employers are looking for
- Global Game Jam, Fri 24 January 16.00 - Sun 26 January, RCH/037
- TPP aptitude tests, Tues 28 January, 17.30-20.00, P/T/006 booking essential
- Your rights at work (disability) Wed 29 January, 12.00-13.30, P/T/007
- PL Projects - What is project management? Thurs 30 January, 18.15-20.00, RCH Lakehouse
- Social media in your job hunt, Thurs 6 February, 18.00-20.00, B/M/052
- Graduate entry medicine, Tues 19 February, 15.00-16.00, B/M/052
- Making the most of your work experience, Thurs 5 March, 16.00-17.00, P/L/006
- TPP aptitude tests, Tues 10 March, 17.30-20.00, P/T/006 booking essential
- York Leaders (2nd years) 16 February - intensive 3 day training course to help develop leadership skills
- York Award Gold (final years) 15 March - recognising and rewarding personal and skills development
- York Futures Scholarship applications 16 March - 19 April - financial and practical support for personal and professional development
- Volunteering opportunities 16 February - from supporting schools to helping a local charity, there are lots of volunteering opportunities to help make the most of time at York and gain concrete work experience.
- Explore Enterprise 9 February - a 5 week programme on the basics of start-up.
- Student Internship Bureau - opportunities to get paid, professional work experience either with University departments or with local employers over the course of the year. Summer vacation opportunities are advertised on Careers Gateway from 1 April.
- Part-time work - students can find part-time work, including some on-campus opportunities, by searching in Careers Gateway.
Keep up to date with all our events on our What's on page and in Careers Gateway.
Social Sciences-specific and general careers advice appointments are available throughout the term. Check availability and book in Careers Gateway.
Careers drop-ins, Careers and Placements, Monday to Friday 11.00 - 13.00 - no need to book, just turn up!