Police registration

An intersection of paths under willow trees.

If your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) contains the statement: "Register with police within seven days" or "Must register with the police" then you must apply for a Police Registration Certificate. 

Apply for a Police Registration Certificate

Collect your certificate

See Fulford Road police station on a map. You can also find directions in the Student Hub in Market Square.

You will need:

  • Cash to pay the fee
  • A passport style photo
  • Current passport and visa
  • Proof of residence (i.e. rental agreement)
  • Confirmation of study letter from the University (this can be requested through e:Vision) or your unconditional offer letter

Documents can be photographed and uploaded on a smart phone or tablet.

North Yorkshire Police will email you when your certificate is ready to collect.

Continuing your studies

If you renewed your visa whilst in your home country and are returning to the UK to continue your studies, you must again register with the police within seven days. You will need to complete the online form and book an appointment to attend Fulford Road police station with the following:

  • Current passport containing your new visa
  • Police Registration Certificate  

If you don't register with the police 

Failure to register with the police is a criminal offence and you will be in breach of your immigration conditions. If you fail to register within the seven day period this could lead to you receiving a warning stamp which may make it more likely for your next visa extension application to be refused. In some cases you may also receive an official police caution.