Accessibility statement

Renewing your visa

Renew your visa

UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) will accept applications for renewal at any time before the visa expiry date if made within the UK. You are advised to begin the application process at least three months before your student visa is due to expire to ensure you have all the necessary supporting documents, if applicable.

Before you can apply to renew your visa you need your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) statement from the University. If you are a continuing student you can request your CAS via your e:Vision account, when there are three months or less until your visa expiry date.

Renew before your visa expires

You must apply to extend your visa before your current visa expires. Sending your application after your current leave has expired will mean that you have overstayed in the UK - the consequences of this are serious.

Changing courses

If you have failed your course or are considering making any changes to your programme, you are strongly advised to contact the Immigration Advice Service - see Immigration advice for contact details.

UKVI (UK Visas and Immigration) has introduced changes that may affect students changing, transferring or starting on a new course, or those who fail their course and are offered a lower award.

If you are moving from one course to another, you must apply for a visa for the new course before you start it. Failure to do so will result in your application being refused and you will have to return home.

The gap between the expiry date of your visa and the start of the next course must be no more than:

  • 28 days if your next course is longer than six months or is a pre-sessional course; or
  • seven days if your next course is less than six months or is not a pre-sessional course.

If your course start date is more than 28 days after your visa expiry date you will need to return home and apply for a new visa from outside the UK.