Working in the UK

A student working on a laptop.

These pages provide careers advice tailored for international students and legal information regarding the work and volunteering permitted by your visa whilst you study and after graduation.

For careers advice on how to improve your chance of success what you apply for a job, gaining work experience and volunteering, please see our careers pages.

We have advice tailored to international student needs, whether you are looking to work during your studies, or planning ahead for what you will do after you graduate.

Who to contact

  • Immigration Advice Service
    Student Hub, Market Square
  • Tel: +44 (0)1904 324140
  • Office hours
    -Term time: 9am - 5pm, Outside term time: 10am-4pm
    Monday to Friday
  • To make an appointment: Either ring the number above, call in to the Student Hub or email

Working during your studies

Students working in a cafe

Find out what work your visa will permit and how work regulations affect volunteering and other kinds of work experience.

Working after your studies

Students receiving careers advice

Find out about the types of visa you can apply for if you would like to work in the UK after you graduate.