York graduates get careers support for life and access to the York Global Alumni Association.
Graduates can access most of our online resources, speak one-to-one to a careers consultant and use Handshake, our careers platform, to browse job vacancies, connect with employers and see our upcoming events.
You can access most of the information on our website, but a few sections are password-protected due to the terms of external licences. Here are some sections you might find useful:
Access online Careers resources with your York alumni email
Register for a York graduate email to access
- CareerSet - immediate feedback on your CV or cover letter
- Shortlist.Me - try out mock video interviews
- Team Focus - online questionnaires which may be useful as you consider the type of work that would suit you: Type dynamics indicator (personality), Learning styles indicator, Resilience scale questionnaire.
- AssessmentDay - practice numerical and diagrammatic reasoning tests
In addition to the support you can get from Careers and Placements, we are able to offer career coaching to some recent graduates, subject to certain eligibility requirements.
All graduates get access to Handshake, our careers platform, where you can:
You can also use Handshake to network with other graduates and contact employers.
If you graduated before summer 2020, you can register on Handshake by clicking on the 'Sign up here' link. When asked for your email address you should input your personal address - it does not need to be a University of York one (despite the instructions on screen).
If you graduated in 2020 or 2021, you will already have an account in Handshake. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, degree and dates to convert your student account to alumni status.
If you are graduating in summer 2022 or later we will convert your Handshake student account to an alumni account. Once your student username has expired you should log in with your personal email and reset your password. If you have any problems accessing Handshake please contact email@example.com
The level of service we can provide depends on:
- demand from current students who receive priority at busy times. Appointments in the Autumn Term are restricted to current students and graduates from the previous summer only
- your particular needs; for example, we are better placed to advise recent graduates rather than those who have been in employment for over five years
If you are currently studying at another university, you should approach their careers service for help in the first instance.
York Global Alumni Association
From the day that you graduate, you are part of our huge community out in the wider world. York Global Alumni Association offer a range of support and other ways to keep in touch including:
- Networking opportunities and other events
- Dedicated international groups across the globe
- Exclusive services, discounts and offers
- Regular news and updates via our alumni newsletter
As a graduate, you have knowledge and experience that could be invaluable to our students preparing for life after York. We now have a really easy way for you to share your experiences with current students through York Profiles and Mentors.