Preparing for Professional Practice - HEA00017H
« Back to module search
- Department: Health Sciences
- Module co-ordinator: Dr. Helen Bedford
- Credit value: 10 credits
- Credit level: H
Academic year of delivery: 2018-19
Module will run
||Summer Term 2018-19
- To enhance the student midwife's confidence and competence to emerge as a qualified midwife.
- To develop leadership, decision making and management skills for professional practice.
- To consolidate the student's understanding of the professional responsibilities of a qualified midwife.
Module learning outcomes
This module will enable the student to:
- Enhance their confidence and competence to emerge as a qualified midwife.
- Act appropriately in more complex situations and make effective decisions.
- Demonstrate the ability to manage their time effectively.
- Develop their understanding of leadership and management skills for professional practice.
- Apply professional and legal frameworks regulating midwifery practice.
||% of module mark
Special assessment rules
||% of module mark
Written feedback for summative assessment is provided on the standard proforma, within the timescale specified in the programme handbook.
- Ashton, D, Ripman, J. and Williams, P. (eds) How to be a nurse or midwife leader. Chichester: Wiley Blackwell
- Byrom, S. and Downe, S. (eds). (2015). The roar behind the silence: Why compassion and respect matter in maternity care. London: Pinter and Martin
- Barr, J. and Dowding, L. (2016). Leadership in health care (3rd ed). London: SAGE Publications
- Gopee, N. and Galloway, J. (2017). Leadership and management in healthcare. (3rd ed). London: SAGE Publications Ltd.
- Smoker, A. (2016) Launching your career in nursing and midwifery. London: Palgrave
- Thompson, N. (2015). People skills. (4th ed). London: Palgrave
Coronavirus (COVID-19): changes to courses
The 2020/21 academic year will start in September. We aim to deliver as much face-to-face teaching as we can, supported by high quality online alternatives where we must.
Find details of the measures we're planning to protect our community.
Course changes for new students