2020 has been an extraordinary year and has highlighted the immense global challenges we face, from the COVID-19 pandemic to the impact of climate change and ongoing inequalities and divisions in our society. We are committed to delivering the Laidlaw Scholarship as we see the potential in developing a new generation of diverse, inclusive leaders who will meet these challenges and play an important role in the economic, social and cultural recovery from the pandemic.
We are working closely with the Laidlaw Foundation to respond to the challenges presented by COVID-19 and we can confirm the following changes for the programme in 2021-22. See also this video which gives a scholar perspective on their 2020 experience.
- We will hold interviews for the Laidlaw Scholarship online
- Either all or partial delivery of leadership events online - delivering face to face events where we can
- An online global induction session for all 300 new scholars in Spring 2021
- An online Global Buddies platform where scholars can connect with one or two other scholars from different universities/countries
- A scholars conference in 2021, which will be in person or virtual depending upon the COVID-19 restrictions in place at that time
- When selecting a research project, please consider how you would carry this out remotely, if required, during Summer 2020
- With regards to Leadership in Action in Summer 2022 we will work closely with the Foundation to offer opportunities to put leadership into practice, delivered remotely if required