3MT® returns to York in June 2017.
Ten University of York research students have just three minutes each to communicate the impact of their research to an audience made up of school pupils, teachers, university staff, members of the general public and industry.
The first, second and third placed students will receive a prize and the first place winner of the York 3MT® 2017 final will be given the opportunity to enter the UK 3MT® 2017 semi-final (online) and, if successful, go through to the UK 3MT® 2017 final (being held at the Vitae Researcher Development International Conference in September 2017).
3MT® competitions challenge participants to explain their research effectively and concisely to a non-specialist audience in three minutes, helping to develop their presentation and research communication skills. Communicating to different audiences helps demonstrate the contribution that research makes to wider society and the economy. The University of York 3MT® is a chance for our research students to engage and enthuse a range of learners about their research and, especially in the case of high school learners, perhaps even inspire them to attend a research-rich institution in the future.
University of York PhD students.
Comprehension and content
Engagement and communication
Join the audience
The University of York 3MT 2017 final will take place on Tuesday 13 June 2017 in the Spring Lane Building.
Free tickets are available to University staff and members of the public by registering through Eventbrite.
How do I enter?
To enter the 3MT® competition you must complete our online 3MT Entry Form providing us with your proposal title and a short lay summary / abstract (max 500 words) of your research and its potential impact on the economy/society.
The closing date for entries is Monday 3 April 2017.
20 applicants will be invited to audition on 19 April 2017 with a 3 minute presentation and a slide representing their message. 10 finalists will then be selected to participate in the final on 13 June 2017.
- 16 January: Competition opens
- 17 February and 22 March: Preparing for 3MT information sessions (bookable via SkillsForge)
- 3 April: Closing date for entries
- 4-6 April: Shortlisting
- 10 April: Shortlisted applicants informed
- 19 April: Auditions
- 3 May: Successful applicants invited to final
- 26 May: Training session
- 12 June: Rehearsal
- 13 June: University of York 3MT 2017 Final
- 15 June: Falling Walls training
- 23 June: Falling Walls Lab York
- 7 July: Video entry for 3MT online national semi-final
- Mid-July: 3MT online semi-final deliberation
- Mid-August: National 3MT finalists announced by Vitae
- 11 September: National 3MT Final
- September: PGR Induction Event
For further information, you can view previous finalists: