Changes to bus timetables and fares
Posted on 4 September 2018
In May, First York changed bus services between the University, the city centre, and the railway station. Both staff and students expressed concerns about these changes. Since then we have been working with First to review services, taking into account your feedback.
On Sunday 16 September, the current University term-time timetable (which ran throughout the Summer Term) restarts.
From Sunday 23 September:
- Service 66 will extend to the York Sport Village for early morning and evening journeys, the frequency of the evening service will increase, and the timetable will be amended to reduce waiting times.
- Service 66A will finish later in the day, with an additional overnight service every 30 minutes between Merchantgate and the Ron Cooke Hub. The afternoon timetable will be adjusted to improve punctuality.
- Service N66 will run an amended route from Rougier Street, through York to Merchantgate, then via Heslington Road, University Road and Field Lane to Campus East, running every 15 minutes in both directions.
You can plan your journey online using the First York timetables.
Some fares have been changed or removed - First York believe that this will simplify the ticket buying process, and reduce boarding times.
- The annual staff pass is subsidised by a £50 contribution from the University, meaning that you pay £260.
- Day tickets: £3 when you show your University of York Staff ID card.
- The £2 return ticket is no longer available but you can still travel for £1 each way using a Yorkey card: £10 for 10 trips or £20 for 20 trips.
- The University has joined First's Commuter Travel Club. This means that you can sign up to First Unlimited, a monthly subscription costing £37.50 (10 per cent off normal fares).
- Some fare types, including the monthly ticket, can only be purchased using the mTickets app.
Find out more about the changes:
Student ticket options include termly passes, annual passes, weekly and monthly tickets. Find out more:
Any comments or queries should be passed to First York.