Find information below about buying goods and services, booking business travel and how to claim incidental business expenses.
Things that apply to all buying
- We have procurement rules to ensure we get value for money and meet legislation. You will need to obtain quotes or undertake a formal tender for all items you buy over certain limits.
- Our preferred suppliers should always be used for the goods or services they provide.
- There are specific approval rules in place for Capital expenditure.
- You need to be authorised signatory to approve expenses, petty cash, student bursaries and exempt purchase invoices. Use this form to become an authorised signatory: Authorised signatories form (MS Word , 40kb)
- There should be no use of 'personal' online shopping accounts for business purchases eg Amazon
Purchase order (PO)
The vast majority of all buying should be done using a PO. We have a No PO No Pay policy which means that all goods and services bought need a PO to be raised and approved beforehand. POs should be raised through the York e-Purchase (YEP) ordering system.
There are a small number items which are exempt from having to raise a PO.
For further help and guidance, book onto the Buying goods and services and paying for them training course via the Learning Management System (LMS).
Please contact Accounts Payable for supplier invoice queries:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0)1904 322113
Specific contacts for travel, procurement and purchase card queries are provided in the sections below.
University Purchase Card
University Purchase Cards can be used in limited circumstances to buy goods and services.
University Purchase Cards should not be used for items which can be purchased using a PO via YEP or where there is a preferred supplier.
Planning a business trip? Find information about the tools and rules you'll need to book your travel and accommodation.