International students

The Department of Music welcomes students from around the world

Live and study on our beautiful and safe parkland campus

Explore the picturesque city of York – recently voted European Tourist City of the Year

People travel from all over the world to live and study in York, and the Department of Music is home to students of many nationalities. We welcome applications from all parts of the world, for both undergraduate or postgraduate study.

‌York is 6th in the UK and 25th in World: THE World Rankings for Arts and Humanities

The University of York is one of the top-rated institutions to study the arts and humanities according to the 2016 Times Higher Education Rankings – positioned 6th in the UK and 25th in the world we deliver an outstanding educational environment through our innovative teaching with excellent careers prospects.

About the Department of Music

Guided tour for applicants (in Chinese)

Find out more

Information in Chinese

Visit our page for Chinese applicants.


The University provides ongoing language training to help you in your studies: find out about opportunities to improve your academic and general English at the CELT.

Language requirements

To apply for study in the Department of Music, international students whose first language is not English must provide evidence of a suitable level of ability in English as a foreign language. Current entry requirements for study at the Department can be found on the follow pages: