E-resources access for visitors
COVID-19 update: The Library and Archives are currently closed to visitors and our walk-in access scheme is unavailable for the time being. We look forward to welcoming you back soon, but we don't know yet when that will be possible. Keep an eye on Library News or our Twitter account for more information.
The Walk-in Access scheme enables University of York Library external members and visitors to access a range of electronic resources (eg ejournals, ebooks and databases), whose licence agreements allow use by anyone on the Library premises.
Using the service
Please ensure you bring with you one of the following forms of ID:
- Driving Licence
- Sconul Access confirmation email & home institution card
- Photo ID card from home institution (FE students)
You won't be able to use the service without producing the specified identification.
The service is available on a first come, first served basis during full service hours at the JB Morrell Library. It is not available during self-service hours or at the King's Manor Library.
To use the service, please ask at the Library and IT Help Desk in the JB Morrell Library on arrival. You will need to provide proof of identity and sign and agree to the Walk-in Access Terms and Conditions each time you use the service.
The Walk-in Access computer terminals have a USB port to enable you to save information.
Pages may be printed, subject to copyright restrictions, and subject to the charges in place (currently 5p per single-sided A4 sheet 9p per double-sided A4 sheet).
- You will be asked to provide a £5 deposit (cash only) for the Walk-in Access card which is required to use the service. Please ensure you return the card during full service hours.
- These resources may only be used for educational purposes. Use for commercial purposes is prohibited.
- There is a limit to the number of people who can use the service at any one time.
- Library staff are only able to provide minimal support to individuals using this service. The resources have extensive online help pages and we would expect you to make use of these.
- The service does not provide access to email, software (eg Microsoft Office) or the internet.
- For further help or advice please contact us.
You can find out which electronic resources are available to University of York staff and students by visiting our E-Resources Guide.
However, please note that there are a number of exceptions. See the Excluded e-resources tab for more information.
We regret that we cannot make the following electronic resources available to Walk-in Users, due to licence terms and conditions imposed on us by the publisher or resource provider.
- Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers and Prevention
- Cancer Research
- Clinical Cancer Research
- Financial Times (FT.com)
- Haworth Press journals
- Institute of Physics journals
- Journal of the Acoustical Society of America
- Journal of the Audio Engineering Society
- Medical Law & Research (e-book)
- Nursing Times (direct)
- Peeters journals
- Royal Society of Medicine
- Sociological Research Online
- The Art Newspaper
- Times Higher Education
- Tree Physiology
- 17th & 18th Century Nichols Newspapers Collection
- American Song
- Artemis Primary Sources (Gale)
- Arts & Humanities Citation Index (Web of Science)
- Audio Engineering Society E-Library
- Bartholomew Data
- Beckett Digital Manuscript Service
- Blackwell Encyclopedia of Sociology
- BMJ Learning
- Box of Broadcasts (BoB)
- British Geological Survey
- British Literary Manuscripts Online
- British Standards Online Custom Collection
- Case Alerter
- Classical Music Library
- Complete Anatomy
- Complete Dictionary of Scientific Biography
- Conference Proceedings Citation Index: Science (Web of Science)
- Conference Proceedings Citation Index: Social Science & Humanities (Web of Science)
- Contemporary World Music
- Dance in Video
- Dictionary of Irish Biography
- Document Summary Service
- Ebook Central
- Economist Historical Archive 1843-2003
- Eighteenth Century Collections Online (ECCO)
- Education Image Gallery
- Elsevier E-Library
- English Corpora
- FAME (Financial Analysis Made Easy)
- Financial Times (FT.com)
- Financial Times Historical Archive, 1888-2006
- Granth Sanjeevani
- Illustrated London News Historical Archive, 1842-2003
- Independent Local Radio Programme Sharing Database
- Index to Legal Periodicals and Books (including Retrospective)
- Index of Medieval Art
- Institute of Physics ebooks
- Jazz Discography Online
- Jazz Music Library
- Kluwer Arbitration
- Lexis Library
- Literature Criticism Online - Drama Criticism
- MEDLINE (1950 onwards) (Web of Science)
- Mintel Market Sizes
- Mintel Academic
- Nexis UK
- OHE Compendium of Health Statistics
- Opera in Video
- Passport GMID: Global Market Information Database
- Satellite Imagery of the British Isles
- Science Citation Index (Web of Science)
- SciFinder Scholar
- Shakespeare Collection
- Shakespeare's Words
- Sketch Engine
- Smithsonian Global Sound for Libraries
- Social Work Connect
- Social Sciences Citation Index (Web of Science)
- State Papers Online
- Stockley's Drug Interactions (MedicinesComplete)
- TRILT: Television and Radio Index for Learning and Teaching
- UK 1981 Census Boundaries
- Web of Science
- Westlaw UK