The York Medical Society Collection is made up of nearly 2000 titles including books from the York dispensatory (303 items) and York county hospital medical library. There are also just over 30 journal titles in the collection.
As well as medical historians, these two collections would be of interest to anyone studying provincial book societies and the provincial book trade.
The York Medical Society was formed in 1832, with the object of promoting and diffusing medical knowledge. Their large library helped to achieve that objective. The books had originally been housed in the County Hospital and were given to the York Medical Society in 1890. Members continued to make gifts of books to the library which moved to 23 Stonegate where the Society was based.
The books were deposited at the University in 2004. They are held on deposit from the York Medical Society.
Most of the material in the collection is catalogued and can be accessed via the University of York’s online catalogue. Items can be consulted in the Borthwick Search Room and copies can be made subject to copyright. Material cannot be loaned outside the University of York without the permission of the owners.