The Institute of Advanced Architectural Studies collection comprises of books, journals and pamphlets on architecture, city planning, historic buildings, building conservation and related subjects.
The Institute of Advanced Architectural Studies (IAAS) was a postgraduate institute established by York Academic Trust in 1953. In 1963, the Institute was incorporated into the University of York and in 1966, the Institute moved to Kings Manor. The collection was the Institute’s Library which was incorporated into the University Library.
The postgraduate courses run by the Institute were incorporated into the Centre for Conservation Studies based in the Department of Archaeology.
The items in the collection are mostly borrowable and are located in Kings Manor Library and are split into two sections.
You can find a collection of digitised slides and photographs in the Digital Library. These images, once owned by the Institute, are mainly of British architecture (including York, The Minster and the development of the University), Ecclesiastical architecture and building methods.
The University Archive holds some archival material relating to the Institute. For further information, please contact the University Archive in the Borthwick Institute.
See also the Barbara Hutton collection which comprises of books and pamphlets on vernacular architecture.