The following is a full quotation from the 'General Licence Conditions' which apply in CHEST (Combined Higher Education Software Team) centrally negotiated agreements and in the recommended form of licence for non-centrally negotiated offers. Custom and practice indicate that this is a valid base for discussions on the details of educational use:
...Product may be used by any employee, student, or other person authorised by the Licensee for the purposes of the normal business of the Licensee's organisation, whether or not they are located at the Licensee's premises. Such use of Product includes the following:
- personal educational development
- administration and management of the business of the Licensee's organisation
- development work associated with any of the above
- consultancy or services leading to commercial exploitation of Product
- work of significant benefit to the employer of students on industrial placement or part-time courses.
In 1 and 2 above the Licensor may allow such use in return for acknowledgement of use of Product and/or for an agreed fee.
Note: 'Commercial Exploitation' in the context of the Code is the use of the product for monetary gain either by the Institution or an individual. Where Product is so used this must be a matter for discussion between the Supplier and the Licensee
- No persons shall be excluded from use of Product for reasons of nationality or citizenship.
- All persons who are provided by the Licensee with copies of Product will sign a declaration incorporating the Copyright Acknowledgement.