Click on the tabs below for information about Scientific WorkPlace.
About Scientific WorkPlace
About the software
Scientific WorkPlace (SWP) is used for scientific and mathematical word processing and includes integrated LaTeX typesetting, computer algebra and tools for creating 2-D and 3-D plots.
Scientific WorkPlace 6 is installed on all IT Services classroom PCs and is available for all other University and personally owned staff and student PCs.
For more information, please see the Obtaining the software tab.
Obtaining the software
Classroom and managed office PCs
Unmanaged PCs and home use
- is available for all staff and students
- can be installed on unmanaged University owned PCs and personally owned devices
- is available for Windows and Mac
Instructions are available to guide you through installing Scientific WorkPlace:
Documentation, training and support
- MacKichan.com - includes a product guide and knowledge base
- Scientific WorkPlace on Wikipedia
- MacKichan manuals available for download (also included with the installation files for unsupported machines):-
- Getting Started with Scientific WorkPlace (PDF , 1,153kb)
- Doing Mathematics with Scientific WorkPlace (PDF , 11,450kb)
- Creating Dcouments with Scientific WorkPlace (PDF , 3,996kb)
- Typesetting Documents with Scientific WorkPlace (PDF , 1,839kb)
- A Gallery of Document Shells for Scientific WorkPlace (PDF , 6,402kb)
- The University's site licence for Scientific Workplace gives staff and students access to a six-part training course (you will be prompted for your University username and password):
- The Scientific WorkPlace Help menu also includes a range of introductory tutorials. In the application select Help | Contents | Learn the Basics.
If you require further help or support with Scientific WorkPlace, please contact the Library & IT Help Desk.