IGDC Photography Competition: 'Celebrating People and Places Globally'
Photography Competition **Now Closed**
Theme: ‘Celebrating People and Places Globally’. Entries can therefore be inspired by, but are not limited to, our research areas of Citizenship, Development Alternatives, Governance, Health & Wellbeing and Sustainability. Up to 3 entries are permitted per person.
Closing Date: Friday 2nd November 2018 11:59 GMT
The Interdisciplinary Global Development Centre (IGDC) is pleased to announce its first photography competition! With the theme of ‘Celebrating People and Places Globally’, entries should aim to promote the diversity of people and places from across the world. The competition offers entrants the chance to have their work publicly displayed and disseminated to a wide-ranging audience as well as the opportunity to promote global development. Shortlisted entries will be featured in a four day exhibition to be held in the Spring Lane Atrium from the 19th-22nd November where the public can vote for their favourite image via ballot box and online. There will be prizes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place as well as a People’s Choice Award to be decided by the public vote. Shortlisted photographs will be displayed in an exhibition in the Spring Lane Building and on screens around campus. Winning photographs will then be displayed on our social media pages and website and will be printed and mounted in the IGDC office in Derwent college.
The competition will culminate in an exciting evening event, to be held on Thursday 22nd November. The event will feature international entertainment, talks by guest speakers and the awarding of the prizes.
Keep an eye out on our Twitter page and website for more details.
How to Enter:
The closing date for entries is 11:59 GMT on Friday 2nd November 2018. Winners announced during the IGDC Photography Competition Award Ceremony evening event, held on the 22nd November 2018.
Terms and Conditions:
Interdisciplinary Global Development Centre Photography Competition - 2018
The following sets out the Terms and Conditions of the Interdisciplinary Global Development Centre (‘IGDC’) Photography Competition 2018.
The aim of the competition is to provide a forum for staff and student photography and to develop an image library that can be used in material to promote the IGDC.
The theme for the competition is that the photo(s) should represent any of the IGDC’s research areas, which are citizenship, governance, sustainability, health and well-being and development alternatives.
Entry into the competition will be deemed as acceptance of these terms and conditions and consent for your first name/surname/email address to be used to administer your competition entry in accordance with the Privacy Notice.
- The competition is being run by the Interdisciplinary Global Development Centre, University of York, Heslington, York, Y010 5DD (“UoY”).
- The competition is free to enter and is open to submissions from UoY staff and students.
- The competition opens at 8th October 2018 0900 and closes at 2nd November 2018 11:59. UoY accepts no responsibility for any entries that are ineligible, corrupted or fail to be submitted by the closing date.
- Up to three photos per entrant are permitted.
- The photo(s) should be submitted in digital format and uploaded to the IGDC Photography Competition Entry Form [https://sites.google.com/york.ac.uk/igdcphotocomp/details-and-entry/about-the-competition]. Please provide your first name, surname, email address, department, a title for the photo and its location.
- Entries must be submitted as an electronic image in an email attachment of the following format and size: Size: A3 (297x420mm) Quality: Minimum 300dpi File format: JPEG.
- The UoY reserves the right to cancel the competition at any time if circumstances arise outside of its control.
- There will be a prize for the winning photos (1st prize, 2nd prize, 3rd prize and People’s Choice). Only the prize winners will be contacted.
- The winning entries will be judged and awarded as follows: 1st: STA Travel Vouchers £100 2nd: Jessops Canvas Print Voucher £70 3rd: Amazon Voucher £50 and a People’s Choice Award: UoY Bar Vouchers £40. The judges' decision is final.
- The winning entrants agree to the UoY using their name and a photograph in promotional material relating to the competition. Your photo(s) may be exhibited at a UoY venue as part of the judging or promotion of the competition. We cannot guarantee to print all photos received.
- The photo must be your original work and must not breach any third parties rights or copyright.
- You remain the copyright owner of the submitted photo but you grant to the UoY a royalty-free, perpetual, non-exclusive, worldwide, irrevocable, sub-licensable and unrestricted licence to use, republish, edit and/or modify the photo entry in any manner, treatment or medium (including electronic, hard copy and UoY publications). This includes, but not exclusively, displaying competition entries in public forums as part of the competition process and use in UoY/IGDC promotional materials (in any medium including social media and on our website).
- The UoY will endeavour to credit you when using the photo but the UoY cannot guarantee that every use of the photo will include the photographer’s name.
- The subject matter of the photo must be ethically responsible, including being respectful to any individuals dignity and cultural identity. The photo must not breach any applicable law or regulation, or any confidentiality obligations owed by you to third parties.
- If an individual(s) is the subject of your photograph and the IGDC advise you that they wish to use the photograph for the purposes described in these terms and conditions, then that individual’s consent will be needed (or if a subject under the age of 18 then consent from a parent or legal guardian).
For the remainder of this privacy notice see: General Privacy Notice
For the purposes of this privacy notice, University of York is the Data Controller as defined in the General Data Protection Regulation. We are registered with the Information Commissioner’s Office and our entry can be found here. Our registration number is: Z4855807.
The following will apply to personal data that you provide to us as part of your entry into this completion:
- Why is your personal data being gathered? To enable us to administer and promote the IGDC photography competition as described in these terms and conditions including (but not exclusively) making contact with you regarding your entry, details regarding the IGDC Photography Competition Award Ceremony event, announcements regarding the winning entry and accrediting your photography (where possible). We will delete your data after the winning entry has been announced. The only data we may retain would be your name to identify you should we use your photograph for the purposes detailed in these terms and conditions.
- What is the legal basis for us gathering your data? By submitting your name and email address as part of your entry you consent to your data being stored confidentially by us for the purpose described in these terms and conditions.
- Will your data be shared with a third party? Only to the extent that we will store the photography competition details on a Google storage drive. Beyond this, we will not share your personal data with any third parties.
For any queries regarding the Photography Competition please contact Laura McGill (firstname.lastname@example.org/01904 321042)