History at York placed 11th in the UK and in the top 100 globally
History at York placed 11th= in the UK and in the top 100 in the world according to the latest release of the QS World University Rankings by subject (2023).
This week, York’s Department of History confirmed its place among the world’s most highly regarded departments for the subject of history. This subject was ranked 11th= in the UK and in the top 100 in the world by QS World University Rankings (2023). This department sits in our Arts and Humanities faculty, which was ranked 66th in the world.
Published annually, QS World University Rankings assess over 50 subjects, at over 1,400 universities, on academic reputation, employer reputation and research impact.
Professor Laura A.M. Stewart, Head of the Department of History said “It is testament to the creativity and commitment of our wonderful teachers and researchers that History has been raised to 11th= in the UK, and we remain in the Top 100 globally.”
York's overall position
In total, four subjects at the University of York were ranked in the top 50 globally, as well as top 20 in the UK:
- Archaeology (5th in the UK, 20th globally)
- Social Policy and Administration (7th in the UK, 28th= globally)
- English Language and Literature (11th in the UK, 35th globally)
- Education (9th in the UK, 47th globally)
Three more were ranked in the top 100 in the world, 3 of which are ranked as top 20 in the UK:
- History (11th= in the UK, 51-100 globally)
- Linguistics (10th in the UK. 92nd= globally)
- Development Studies (11th= in the UK, 51-100 globally)
In the broad subject of Arts and Humanities we were ranked 66th= globally.