Student support

University support

We understand that adapting to University life, a new city and a new campus, can be a little confusing and overwhelming at times. There are many people who will be happy to help if you have questions or encounter difficulties whilst studying here. Please feel free to approach anyone within the support network with any concerns or questions you may have. The person you talk to will have expertise in specific areas but should also be able to refer you to the best source of specialist advice or information within other parts of the Student Support Network.  

Departmental support

The Student and Academic Support Service support all Health Sciences students and acts as a first point of contact if you need information or assistance with a problem.

The team are all experienced in dealing with a diverse range of enquiries and student contact is undertaken in a sensitive and confidential manner.

The team have a wide variety of responsibilities including:

  • monitoring student sickness/absence records from University and practice placements
  • processing and giving advice on travel claims
  • taking receipt of all academic assessments
  • providing course information
  • liaison with central University Services and Departments.

Student and Academic Support team website.

Placement support

Throughout the course each area of your practice experience will have an identified link lecturer and an experienced mentor to work with.  The link lecturer knows the area well and it is their role to offer you and practice staff support and guidance. This will provide you with a stimulating, relevant and educationally sound experience.  

Although your practice mentor is your first point of contact for support and help, the link lecturer is also available to you for further support and guidance should you need it. Contact details for the link lecturer will be readily available in the placement area, from Student and Academic Support Service, or from your personal supervisor. 

The link lecturer will visit the placement during your allocation and will contact the placement to arrange a time to meet with you and your mentor to discuss your progress. However, if issues arise for which you need their advice or support you can email at any time, or speak to them on the phone.

You will have support whilst in practice from your personal supervisor from the University and you will meet on a regular basis with both your practice and personal supervisors to discuss your progress in practice.

Academic support

Every student is allocated a supervisor who is an academic member of staff based within the Department of Health Sciences. They usually are the first person you ask for advice about academic and other personal problems and they will assist you either personally or by placing you in touch with others who can provide your more specific support.

Most supervisors have had a great deal of experience of dealing with student issues and know how the University works, and the people who specialise in certain areas.

For each module you undertake you will also have a module leader who can offer support and guidance about the academic assessment for their module.

All members of staff within the Department are friendly and approachable and are dedicated to making your time at York as enjoyable as possible.

There are also services available from the University for students with a disability or dyslexia.