York Global Widening Participation Scholarship 2023
Find out more about and apply for the York Global Widening Participation Scholarship. Applications for summer 2023 closed on 17 February 2023.
What the scholarship covers
The York Global Widening Participation Scholarship covers the following:
- programme fee (£3,497)
- travel costs (according to the University’s travel and expenses policy)
- passport and visa costs (up to £300)
- £100 spending money
Three full scholarships are available for secondary/high school students from Latin America, Sub-Saharan Africa and Ukraine.
You qualify to apply for this scholarship if:
- you are currently in secondary education
- you hold a citizenship from any country in Latin America or Sub-Saharan Africa or from Ukraine
- you meet our minimum recommended level of English language skills, ie CEFR B2, IELTS 5, TOEFL 44+ or Duolingo 75+ (no need for a language exam)
- you can prove your academic motivation
- your family’s financial situation would not enable you to participate in the programme without this scholarship
- this would be your first study abroad experience.
You are more likely to get the scholarship if:
- neither of your parents attended university (or they went to university as a mature student during your secondary education)
- you are estranged from your family
- you are from a military family (while you have been in education, your parent(s) have served in the military)
- you have a disability or long term health condition*
- you identify as LGBTQI+
- you belong to an ethnic minority group in your country.
*Due to the study abroad nature of the programme, you must be able to travel independently.
How to apply
In order to be considered for a scholarship, you must submit an online application.
Applications for summer 2023 closed on 17 February 2023.
Prepare your application
As part of your application, we ask you to tell us about your academic motivation to join the programme. We are interested in reading about the following:
- your general interest in higher education
- your interest in studying in the UK and at the University of York
- your specific interest in the academic option (subject) that you chose
- your interest in the other components of the York Global Summer Schools programme
- examples of your previous engagement with the subject that you chose
You can write up to 4,000 characters about it on the application form. We recommend that you write this in a word processor first and then copy it to the application form.
As part of your application, we also ask you to provide an official letter from your school supporting your application.
You have to ask an employee of your current school (eg a teacher, counsellor or principal) to complete the form below. They can fill it in using a computer, but they must sign and stamp it, before giving you a scanned copy to submit.
You will then need to upload this scanned copy of the school support letter as part of your scholarship application form.
Submit your application
You must complete our electronic scholarship application form.
We recommend that you only start filling it in after you have received the school support letter and written up your personal statement.
What happens after you apply
After the application deadline, we review all scholarship applications and evaluate them against the selection criteria.
If your application is shortlisted, we will invite you to a short online interview to further discuss your application. Interviews will take place between 27 February and 3 March 2023. Please make sure that you are available to talk to us on these days.
If you are invited for a scholarship interview, you will talk to two members of University of York staff via Zoom.
They will ask you about your motivation to join York Global Summer Schools. They might also ask you to give more details about other parts of your application.
The interview takes about 10 to 15 minutes and you will also get a chance to ask questions.
We will inform you of the outcome of your scholarship application on or before 10 March 2023.
Successful candidates will then have until 14 March 2023 to decide if they would like to accept our offer.