We offer a Year in Industry variant for all our undergraduate programmes (BSc, BA and MEnv). The Year in Industry placement will take place after completion of all Year 2 teaching and assessment. Students will be able to transfer into the programme during Year 2 provided they achieve an average mark of at least 55%.
• A placement year will be a real asset when it comes to finding a job after graduation
• Placements would run from June/July for 9 - 12 months and would be paid at a rate typical of the industry hosting the placement
• Students would maintain a supervisor at York and strong links with the department during their placement year
• Students will be required to write a 5000-word reflective report on the work they have done on placement. This piece of work will be marked on a pass/fail basis
• Student who pass the Year in Industry will gain the degree title of BSc/BA/MEnv in X with a Year in Industry
A dedicated member of staff within the Department will guide students through the process of finding a placement. It will be the responsibility of the student to perform well throughout the application process in order to secure their placement. This will act to provide practical and transferable experience in preparation for finding a job after graduation.
• Increasing employability and preparation for the world of work
• Gaining experience of environmental research in an applied setting
• Improving practical skills, learning new techniques and experimental design and handling state-of-the-art equipment
• Increasing self-discipline and self confidence
• Improving time keeping and organisational skills
• Enhancing data recording, scientific writing, communication and presentation skills
• Enhancing problem solving skills
• Enabling students to be able to make a more informed decision about their career path
Placements could be in areas as diverse as environmental consultancy, government agencies, political bodies, construction, conservation and ecological charities – the possibilities are endless!