Dave is the Technical Manager. His role is to oversee the smooth and efficient running of all departmental facilities from financial, technical, and safety aspects.
He has a degree in Chemistry from the University of Nottingham (1988) and worked primarily in the field of Chemistry until joining the University of York in 1998 with the remit of establishing new chemistry and ecology laboratory facilities in the Department.
As the Department grew, Dave took on the additional responsibilities of health and safety management, IT support and development, budgetary and financial control, buildings management, security and departmental web site strategy. As the technical support team grew, Dave took overall management of the group to provide both laboratory and IT support both in teaching and research.
When the decision was taken to build a new building for the Department of Environment and Geography building, Dave took a central role in the inception, planning and development of the new facility which was completed in December 2015. This included detailed design of the office facilities, laboratories, teaching and open access areas of the building, liaising with the architects, Estates Department, Steering Group, Morgan-Sindall (Construction Contractors) and end users to help ensure a building that was fit for purpose. This also included monitoring the progress through photography, aerial videography and time-lapse imagery to create a lasting history of this important step in the Department's future.
Since completion, Dave has taken over the daily management of the facility and line management of the technical support group.
He also advises on the health and safety of both staff and students and is the Departmental Safety Officer and Building Manager. His area of expertise also lies in instrumental analytical chemistry, with particular interest in environmental matrices, in particular water. He manages the departmental teaching and research laboratory facilities. Dave has worked both in industry and the academic sectors. His other areas of interest are synthetic organic chemistry, particularly of photosensitive compounds and natural products, radiation dosimetry, and novel polymer synthesis. He also takes a keen interest in Health and Safety matters and possesses a standard certificate in safety practices, an IOSH managing safely certificate. Dave is also the Departmental Web Officer.
||Dutch Language - merit
||LFA, University of York
||Certified Wireless Network Administrator
||City & Guilds Standard Certificate in Safety Practices
||Institution of Occupational Safety and Health Certificate
||Microsoft Certified Professional
||Departmental Manager / Technical Manager
||Department of Environment and Geography, University of York
||Dept of Archaeological Sciences, University of Bradford
||Dept of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Bradford
||Leading Lab Scientist
||Metabolism Department, Covance Laboratories, Harrogate
||Leading Lab Scientist
||Inhalation Toxicology Department, Covance Laboratories, Harrogate
||Environmental Sciences Department, University of Sunderland
||Organic Chemist Project Leader
||Sherwood Technology Development, Nottingham
||BSc (Hons) Chemistry
||The University of Nottingham
||Technical German - distinction
||The University of Nottingham
Departmental Computing Officer
- Specification, purchase and installation of new hardware and software
- Level 1/2 support to all departmental users, passing on level 2/3 support to IT Services
- Maintenance of departmental back-up systems, Ethernet and wireless network
- Maintenance of departmental file server and network attached storage
- Provision of training to all departmental users in new hardware and software
- Formation and implementation of departmental IT policy
- Representation of the department on University information committees
- To ensure new management information systems are applied appropriately and to provide training for staff where necessary
Departmental Web Officer
- To manage and implement updates to the departmental website
- Departmental site
- To plan and implement web strategy
- To ensure legal compliance of content
Departmental Purchasing Officer
- To represent the department on University purchasing committee
- To act as the central point for all departmental purchasing
- To ensure timely payment of invoices for goods and services from research funding and HEFCE funds
- To ensure best practice and adherence to local and national framework agreements for purchasing
- To ensure the smooth running of the Agresso purchasing system in the department
- To provide financial reports for and to control expenditure against HEFCE funds
- To maintain an equipment inventory and insurance cover for departmental equipment.
- To maintain external maintenance contracts for departmental equipment
Departmental Safety Officer
- To represent the department at University safety committee meetings
- To write and update the departmental safety policy and safety handbook
- To ensure legal compliance with the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 and all subsequent legislation and regulations
- To act as the departmental display screen assessor
- To check and maintain CoSHH assessments
- To check and maintain risk assessments
- To formulate the fire risk assessment for the department
- To monitor performance against set standards and to report back to the head of department
- To provide advice on all aspects of safety management and risk assessment to all members of the department
- To perform and maintain departmental Portable Appliance Testing records
Radiation Protection Supervisor
- Ensure that adequate risk assessments are undertaken, in consultation with the RPO as necessary, for each project involving ionising radiation.
- Ensure that risk assessments remain valid and up-to-date.
- Ensure that adequate Local Rules are drawn up, in consultation with the RPO as necessary, for each area.
- Ensure Local Rules are adhered to and updated at regular intervals.
- Ensure that routine monitoring surveys are undertaken and records kept.
- Investigate and report incidents and accidents, in consultation with the RPO.
- Ensure that arrangements are in place for the distribution and return of quarterly issue personal dosimeters (where relevant).
- Ensure that local training is provided and a record kept.
- Attendance at Ionising Radiation Sub Group Committee meetings.
- Ensure that all records are available to allow the RPO to carry out an annual audit.
- Ensure that the name of the RPS, RPO and other safety contact details are displayed.
- Ensure that the purchase of all open source materials is in accordance with the conditions of the University's Open Source registration.
- Ensure that the disposal of all radioactive waste is in accordance with the University's Authorisation. Consulting the RPO as necessary.
- Maintain records for the disposal of all waste.
- Provide relevant information to enable the RPO to submit the annual return to the EA.
- Arrange for formal specific training for the use of open sources.
- Any concern or issue regarding radiation can be referred to the RPO.
- To ensure the smooth operation of departmental science laboratories in both teaching and research
- To manage the departmental technical support team
- To be conversant with the operation of all laboratory analytical equipment and to train others in its use when required
- To write and maintain standard operating procedures for laboratory equipment and processes
- To liaise with Estates and external contractors to ensure the fabric of the department remains fit for its purpose of teaching and research provision
- To liaise with the Security Service in matters relating to departmental security provision
- To control access systems to the department (provision of keys and electronic swipe cards)
Member of the Faculty Technical Support Group (Sciences)
Member of the Departmental Safety Advisors' Group
Member of Ionising Radiation Sub Group Committee
Chair of the Environment and Geography Safety Committee
Research projects undertaken to date include:
- Organic synthesis of large macrocycles
- Inorganic synthesis and speciation of corrosion products of reaction of stainless steel and IRFNA (NASA)
- Synthesis of MOED dyes
- Synthesis of spiropyran colour formers and thioxanthone sensitisers
- Formulation of non-silver gamma ray dosimeter film (60 Co)
- Formulation of non-silver x-ray imaging film (100keV)
- Carcinogenicity of rh-DNAse, a therapeutic agent for cystic fibrosis
- Tracer compounds in investigation of sewage contamination of groundwater