Accessibility statement

International and Visiting students

The Department of English and Related Literature welcomes applications from overseas applicants wishing to apply to its full three-year undergraduate programmes and wide range of postgraduate programmes as well as overseas undergraduate students wishing to spend time at York as part of their degree at their home institution.

See what our students have to say about their time at York.

International Students


If you'd like to study an undergraduate course in the Department of Related Literature at York, you should apply through the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS). 

You can apply independently or through an overseas agent.  Find out how to apply via UCAS.

Visiting Students


If you're already studying at another university, you can apply to spend time at York as a Visiting Student.  Every application is carefully considered by our International Officer, Dr Holly James-Maddocks who will be looking for evidence of ability, commitment and interest in the study of literature. Your application should also include:

  • detailed academic references
  • a literary critical essay of about 1500 words - the one you are happiest with from among those written for your home university

Applications for October admissions should normally be submitted by:

  • 15 May for Undergraduate students
  • 15 June for Postgraduate students

For specific queries on undergraduate study you can contact our International Officer or the Visiting Students team.


Inquiries relating to undergraduate Turing exchange programmes should be directed in the first instance to our International Officer.


Visiting undergraduate students from Norway registered with the University's Norwegian Study Centre also have the opportunity to study in this Department.

York's International Team acts as a contact point for overseas students at all stages. They will be happy to answer any questions you may have - for example about admissions matters, or about the University in general - before you come here. They may also be able to put you in touch with a current or former student from your home country who can tell you about their experience of York.

The University provides detailed immigration advice about procedures for entry into the UK as a Student or Student Visitor.