Emeritus Professor John Lindsay Smith
Mechanistic studies of catalytic, organic and bio-organic oxidations
I continue to take an active interest in collaborative research with colleagues in the Chemistry Department and abroad. Current projects include:
- Studies on dye structure and photo-fading with Dr John Moore, funded by Fujifilm and EPSRC;
- Modelling lubricant oxidative degradation in combustion engines with Dr Moray Stark, funded by Shell, Infineum and EPSRC;
- Metal salen based models for superoxide dismutase and catalase with Professor Paul Walton, funded by Smith and Nephew and EPSRC.
- Metalloporphyrin-catalysed oxidations, a long standing collaboration with staff at the University of Saõ Paulo, Ribeiraõ Preto, Brazil.
Selected recent publications
- A manganese superoxide dismutase mimic based on cis,cis-1,3,5-triaminocyclohexane.
E A Lewis, H H Khodr, R C Hider, J R Lindsay Smith and P H Walton, Dalton Trans, 2004, 187-188.
- Spectroscopic studies of Direct Blue 1 in solution and on cellulose surfaces: effects of environment on a bis-azo dye.
L C Abbott, S N Batchelor, L Jansen, J Oakes, J R Lindsay Smith and J N Moore, New J Chem, 2004, 28, 815-821.
- A mechanistic study of the epoxidation of cinnamic acid by hydrogen peroxide catalysed by manganese 1,4,7-trimethyl-1,4,7-triazacyclononane complexes.
B C Gilbert, J R Lindsay Smith, A Mairata i Payeras, J Oakes and R Pons i Prats, J Mol Catal: Chem, 2004, 219, 265-272.
- Biomimetic oxidation of praziquantel catalysed by metalloporphyrins.
A J B Melo, Y Iamamoto, A P J Maetrin, J R Lindsay Smith, M D Santos, N P Lopes and P S Bonato, J Mol Catal A: Chem., 2005, 226, 23-31.
- Experimental and computational studies of the structure and bonding in parent and reduced forms of the azo dye Orange II.
L C Abbott, S N Batchelor, J Oakes, B C Gilbert, A C Whitwood, J R Lindsay Smith and J N Moore, J Phys Chem, 2005, 109, 2894-2905.
- Organosulfur oxidation by hydrogen peroxide using a dinuclear Mn-1,4,7-trimethyl-1,4,7-triazacyclononane complex.
J R Lindsay Smith, J Murray, P H Walton and T R Lowdon, Tetrahedron Lett, 2006, 47, 2005-2008.
- Ultrafast charge separation in a photoreactive rhenium-appended porphyrin assembly monitored by picosecond transient infrared spectroscopy.
A Gabrielsson, F Hartl, H Zhang, J R Lindsay Smith, M Towrie, A Vlcek and R N Perutz, J Amer Chem Soc,2006, 128, 4253-4266.
- A mechanistic study of the liquid phase autoxidation of nonan-5-one.
C J Hammond, J R Lindsay Smith, E Nagatomi, M S Stark and D J Waddington, New J Chem, 2006, 30, 741-750, (2006).