Dr Paul A Clarke Highlights
Awards and Prizes
- YUSU Award for Excellence in Teaching and Supervision “Highly Commended” for the Innovative use of Technology in June 2013.
- Roche, Basel Collaborative Research Award 2005, and the Roche, Basel Lectureship for 2007.
- AstraZeneca collaborative research award Oct 2006.
- AstraZeneca Young Investigator Unrestricted Research Award 2003-2005.
Selected Recent Invited Lectures
- Dec 2-6, 2018: ‘Brønsted Acid Catalysed Spirocyclisations and Asymmetric Aminocyclisations’ RACI Organic Division National Conference, Perth, Australia.
- Nov 12, 2018: ‘Adventures in Asymmetric Heterocyclisations and Total Synthesis’ Lilly Pharmaceuticals, Erl Wood Manor, Windlesham.
- March 2, 2018: ‘Adventures in the Synthesis of Biologically Active Natural Products’ Universiti Putra, Malaysia.
- April 3-7, 2017: ‘Prebiotic Synthesis of Carbohydrates’, EU Origins COST Meeting, Warsaw, Poland.
- March 27, 2017: ‘New Strategies for the Stereoselective Synthesis of Functionalised Heterocycles’ Vertex Pharmaceuticals, UK.
- July 27, 2016: ‘New Strategies for the Stereoselective Synthesis of Functionalised Heterocycles’ Nanyang Technical University, Singapore.
- July 9-15, 2016: ‘Prebiotic Synthesis of Carbohydrates’, Heron Island Conference on Reactivity and Unusual Molecules, Heron Island, Australia.
- April 25-28, 2016: ‘Prebiotic Synthesis of Carbohydrates’, EU Origins COST Meeting, Vilnius, Lithuania.
- Chair SCI Yorkshire and the Humber Regional Committee (2018-present).
- Visiting Professor at the Research School of Chemistry, Australian National University, funded by the EPSRC (2018).
- Member of the Editorial Board of Life, an open access journal covering all aspects of origins of life research (2017-present).
- Research paper (Chem. Comm., 2017, 53, 10362.) Highlighted in the Nation Press. Daily Mail, 15 Sept 2017. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4886022/Interstellar-ice-shed-light-birth-DNA.html
- Update Editor of the Science of Synthesis Ethers Volume (2016-present).
- Member of the NASA Exobiology Grant Review Panel (2016).
- Interviewed for Chemistry World Podcast to support its “Unpicking Natural Product Synthesis” feature article. https://www.chemistryworld.com/podcast/chemistry-world-podcast-september-2014/7715.article
- Featured in “Unpicking Natural Product Synthesis” Chemistry World, Sept 2014, http://www.rsc.org/chemistryworld/2014/08/natural-product-total-synthesis
- Invited delegate to the Apeldoorn 2012 Conference: a High-level Anglo-Dutch Dialogue on “Higher Education at the Heart of Growth”. https://www.britishcouncil.nl/apeldoorn-conference/conferences/2012
- Research paper (Org. Biomol. Chem., 2012, 10, 1565.) Highlighted in the Nation Press. Daily Mail, 27 January 2012. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2092494/Life-sweet-New-clue-chemical-origins-sugar-molecules-DNA-recreated-scientists.html
- Guest Editor for Tetrahedron: Symposium-in-Print Special Journal Issue “Strategies for the Synthesis of Tetrahydropyran-Containing Natural Products” (2011). http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/00404020/67/27-28
- Visiting Professorship at the Organic and Medicinal Chemistry Department, Universidad Complutense, Madrid, Spain (2010-11).
- Committee Member of the Yorkshire and Humber Region of the SCI (2010-2018).
- Admitted as a Fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry (2009).
- Secretary of the Gregynog Synthesis Society (2003-05).
- EPSRC chemistry panel member (2003-present).