Increasing our accommodation provision and social spaces on Campus East.
What is happening?
We plan to increase our accommodation provision by around 1,400 new student bedrooms on Campus East, together with flexible social spaces which will form two new colleges. The development has been designed to optimise the beautiful landscape and will be built with respect for the existing ecological diversity around the lake.
The expanded provision will allow us to house both more first years as well as returning students on campus.
Work began on site in November 2019. So far the following work has been completed:
- A contractor compound has been established with welfare buildings enclosed in temporary hoardings.
- Major utilities and infrastructure have been diverted
- The ground has been stabilised and levelled
- A temporary contractor car park has been established near Constantine College so ensure no further pressure on staff, student or visitor parking spaces.
- Permanent hoardings have been erected around the site
- Excess water has been removed
In the coming couple of months the following work will happen:
- The site will have permanent hoardings erected around it
- A showroom with a sample bedroom and kitchen will be open to view
- The footpath from Field Lane into campus will be extended and resurfaced.
Access from Lakeside Way
From December 2019 the footpath from Lakeside Way to Baird Lane near the Catalyst was closed to all pedestrians and cyclists. This footpath is not expected to reopen until the end of the project in 2022.<
We appreciate that this will make the journey into campus a little longer. We plan to extend and resurface the current footpath across the grass from Field Lane to make this a little quicker and a nicer route. There will be no impact on bus routes or car access. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause
The new residences development is being delivered by our partners at Civitas via a design, build, finance, operate (DBFO) contract. This means that Civitas will be responsible for not only building the residences, but for managing and maintaining them over a term of 50 years.
The model ensures that the University is providing innovative and energy efficient, on-campus residencies to support student and University growth. This will allow the University to continue to guarantee rooms for all first year students whilst making limited financial contribution to the project.
- Expanding our capacity to house students on campus for the duration of their time at York
- Improving our accommodation offering to both new and continuing students
- Enabling more York students to experience the benefits of college life
- Strengthening the link between Campus East and Campus West
On the west side of Campus East. The location has been carefully chosen to strengthen the link between our two campuses while maximising views of the lake and surrounding parkland.
Work began in November 2019. Phase one (around 350 bedrooms) is expected to be completed by the start of the 2021 academic year with the remainder of the bedrooms available by September 2022.
What will it look like?
Find out more
A number of drop-in sessions have been held with staff and students to show them the plans and answer any questions. We are also regularly engaging with the local community to discuss any of their concerns. We will continue to do this throughout the project.