As the landmark building at the heart of the University, Central Hall is undergoing a series of refurbishments to provide an up-to-date, multi-use space offering enhanced facilities for a wide range of users as well as improving accessibility.
The project will ensure that the University’s flagship building will be fit for purpose for many years to come.
- The auditorium will be tailored to allow teaching of large cohorts of up to 500 students.
- More student events and performances will be able to take place in the building and both audiences and performers will be able to be accommodated much more comfortably.
- The space will remain very flexible ensuring a wide range of uses.
- The refurbishment will enhance major University events such as Graduation and Open Days.
- Improve accessibility
- Enhanced external area
- Full refurbishment or replacement of electrical and mechanical systems including improved climate conditions as well as new windows to make the building more pleasant in all weathers.
The works have been phased over a number of years to ensure that the building can re-open for major events such open days and graduation. This minimises the impact on our students, staff and visitors.
The work is needed to make sure that systems in the building are up to current standards, including improvements to fire safety.
How will this affect me?
As the project is on such a large scale, Central Hall will be completely closed during each phase to ensure safe working and so that the project can meet the necessary deadlines for re-opening.
There may be occasions where routes around Central Hall have to be closed and re-routed but we will always keep these to a minimum and communicate any changes in advance.