A new campus nursery
Our existing nursery building has reached the end of its lifespan. This project will allow us to relocate the provision to another more suitable site on campus and allow the university to provide a purpose built, modern nursery increasing childcare provision on campus for staff, students and local families.
In November 2019, plans were agreed by the University Council with the preferred location being confirmed as opposite the York Sports Village on the northern side of Kimberlow Lane.
A detailed planning application was submitted in February 2020 with the planned nursery designed on Passivhaus principles and to a BREEAM excellent standard.
Due to constraints faced in 2020 we currently do not have a schedule for when this work might commence.
The University’s preferred location for the nursery is on Campus East, opposite from the York Sport Village.
The project aims to:
- Create an expanded provision, more than doubling current available places
- Offer a modern engaging environment for children and staff
- Increase outdoor space and facilities
- Provide crèche facilities for users of the Sports Village and other university visitors
- Be designed around sustainable building techniques such as BREEAM and Passivhaus