The Russell Group represents 24 leading UK universities which are committed to maintaining the very best research, an outstanding teaching and learning experience and unrivalled links with business and the public sector.
The aims of the group are to ensure that:
- teaching of the highest quality takes place in institutions which are at the forefront internationally in their respective subjects, inspiring the brightest undergraduates and training the best postgraduate and postdoctoral workers to create the next generation of innovators and leaders;
- students can thrive at universities best suited to their aptitude and which will maximise their life chances, regardless of their social or economic background;
- the UK’s world-leading research is effectively supported to generate and preserve knowledge and extend the boundaries of human understanding;
- resources are directed to where a critical mass of research can be undertaken to ensure the highest international standards with the greatest impact;
- pioneering research can provide the most benefit for the UK economy and society, through the commercialisation of innovation and the exchange of knowledge and ideas;
- leading UK universities are able to recruit and retain the top academics and tutors who are responsible for cutting edge discoveries and inspiring generations of doctors, engineers and entrepreneur.
- UK higher education policy has a strong evidence base stemming from research and public policy analysis of the very highest quality;
- universities are able to excel in the face of fierce international competition.
Find out more
The Russell Group website offers more information about:
- the benefits to the UK of having universities with an international reputation for high quality research and teaching,
- how businesses can engage with the world-class research undertaken at Russell Group universities,
- the impact of research undertaken by Russell Group universities.