Knowledge Transfer Partnerships (KTP) is a well-established programme which helps organisations improve their competitiveness, productivity, performance and profitability by tapping into the knowledge, skills and expertise in UK universities.
Each KTP is a three-way partnership between a business, a university and a graduate, with grants available to cover investment in innovation.
KTP enables Higher Education Institutions to apply their wealth of knowledge and expertise to important business problems, facilitate collaborations that lead to measurable research impact, and provide an employment opportunity for high-calibre graduates.
KTP is classed as research related income. Partnerships are funded through the business partner and government. The level of funding contributed by the business will depend on its size.
Investment in KTP varies but is typically around £60,000pa with grants available of up to 67 per cent for small companies or 50 per cent for larger organisations.
In 2019, Innovate UK has introduced a new programme, Management Knowledge Transfer Partnership (MKTP), which will operate in the same way as KTPs but with the focus specifically on management-based projects to increase business effectiveness and productivity.
MKTPs seek to support strategic management projects across core activities including:
- Monitoring and target setting
- Communication and motivation
- Organisation, resource planning and strategic thinking
- Problem-solving and decision making
- Commercial awareness and risk management
- Coaching and mentoring
- Options evaluations, horizon scanning and foresighting
Who could benefit from a MKTP?
- Growth-oriented SMEs, eager to build and execute their ambitious management strategy by introducing better management practices.
- Businesses seeking significant productivity gains, recognising that good management and leadership can help deliver this.
- Organisations looking to up-skill their people and make step-change improvements in productivity by deploying industry-leading practices and innovation processes.
KTP is collectively one of the UK’s largest graduate employers, with jobs available throughout the year.
For Associates, the partnership provides a fantastic platform to launch or advance their career. KTP presents the opportunity of managing a challenging project central to the strategic development and long term growth of the business as well as personal development opportunities.
KTP can help recent graduates and postgraduates to:
Find out more about KTP opportunities for graduates
- Knowledge Transfer Partnership - Fast-track your career. Read more.
- York partners with Omnicom and Innovate UK to develop AI technology to revolutionise the future of railway inspections. Read more.
- York academics to form KTP with global manufacturer of speciality chemicals. Read more.
- KTP Programme Manager visits the University of York. Read more.
- UK’s first ultra-secure quantum network link between research and industry launched. Read more.
At York, businesses have collaborated on KTP projects with the Departments of Chemistry, Physics, Computer Science, Mathematics, Electronic Engineering, Music, Theatre Film and Television and Biology. The University's world-class research has enabled our business partners to achieve their strategic objectives and beyond.
- Improving the management of public assets with Gaist Solutions Ltd, KTP 1. Read more.
- Developing a revolutionary breakthrough in road surveys with Gaist Solutions Ltd, KTP 2. Read more.
- Reducing the toxicity of waste streams with Pyropure Ltd. Read more.
- Advancing microscope technologies with PhaseFocus Ltd. Read more.