Knowledge Transfer Partnerships
Knowledge Transfer Partnerships (KTP) is a well-established programme which helps organisations improve their competitiveness, productivity, performance and profitability by tapping into the knowledge, skills and expertise in UK universities.
Each KTP is a three-way partnership between a business, a university and a graduate, with grants available to cover investment in innovation.
KTP enables Higher Education Institutions to apply their wealth of knowledge and expertise to important business problems, facilitate collaborations that lead to measurable research impact, and provide an employment opportunity for high-calibre graduates.
KTP is classed as research related income. Partnerships are funded through the business partner and government. The level of funding contributed by the business will depend on its size.
Investment in KTP varies but is typically around £60,000pa with grants available of up to 67% for small companies or 50% for larger organisations.
- development of new products, processes and innovative solutions to help your business grow
- matched funding for innovation projects
- significant cost savings for innovation projects
- access to world leading university experts
- access to high-calibre, highly-motivated graduates to innovate your business
- increase your competitive advantage and increase profitability
- apply knowledge and expertise to important commercial challenges;
- develop industry-relevant teaching material;
- identify new research themes, and undergraduate and postgraduate projects;
- publish high-quality journal and conference papers;
- contribute to the Research Excellence Framework (REF) case studies;
- develop strategic relationships with regional and national organisations.
- Income towards departmental contributions and contribution to student employability
KTP is collectively one of the UK’s largest graduate employers, with jobs available throughout the year.
For associates, the partnership provides a fantastic platform to launch or advance their career. KTP presents the opportunity of managing a challenging project central to the strategic development and long term growth of the business as well as personal development opportunities.
KTP can help recent graduates and postgraduates to:
- earn a graduate-level salary (minimum £18k starting)
- fast track and enhance their career prospects by leading and delivering a strategic project - over 70% of Associates are offered employment by their host business on completion of their KTP project
- access top-class training and development in business management and leadership skills – with dedicated time and budget available to support, over 50 per cent of associates register for a higher degree during their KTP project.
- Find out more about KTP vacancies
- Read handy Guide for KTP Associates on starting their roles in a business
Find out more
Knowledge Transfer Manager
Research Innovation Office
Find out more