About the Society
The Biology Post-Doc Society aims to support all Post-Docs across the Department.
The society re-formed in October 2011 with the aim of making the lives of Post-Docs and anyone who interacts with us within the Department a little easier.
If you have any issues/ideas or questions concerning Post-Docs within Biology please contact us!
Our Terms of Reference can be viewed here: terms of reference Sept 2014 (MS Word , 23kb)
- Organisation and facilitation of informative sessions on issues regarding Post-Docs’ careers, work and development (e.g. academic careers series, pension advice)
- Facilitate integration and visibility of Post-Docs in the Department (e.g. buddy scheme, allocation of Post-Doc reps for departmental committees, addition of Post-Docs to staff webpage)
- Organisation and facilitation of networking opportunities (e.g. Coffee & Pastries)
Events and schemes
- Pension advice - Informal advice session with HR (Nov 2012), see useful links
- Academic career series - academics give information on each of the career stages and advice on preparation for them
- Other careers sessions
- Lecturing series for Post-Docs
- Set-up and running of Post-Doc webpages (Jan 2012)
- Buddy Scheme – new Post-Docs have the chance to meet another Post-Doc from the Department who knows the place for a little longer to help you getting around more easily (on demand)
- Coffee & Pastries – free to all Post-Docs in the Department (currently sponsored by Promega), opportunity to network and share information (about 6 times per year)
- Annual meetings - reporting on the past year, usually attended by the Head of Department and the Chair of the Biology Research Committee who are available to answer questions