Accessibility statement

Year in Europe 

A year at a European University


What is it?

The Erasmus+ scheme exists to promote study abroad principally within the European Union although it also extends to some countries outside the Union. 

In Biology the period abroad forms part of a four year course with a built-in year in Europe and our current partner institutions are:


Why would you be interested?

  • To come into close contact with a foreign culture
  • To develop your spoken and written language skills
  • To take lectures and courses on topics that are not covered in as much detail in York
  • To develop your organisational skills
  • To gain self-confidence
  • To improve your chances on the international job market

Course choices

At the host University you will attend lectures and practicals, worth about 30 ECTS (European Credit Transfer System) points. 1 ECTS point corresponds to 2 credits in York.

You will carry out a research project worth 30 ECTS credits. It is acceptable to do this in a laboratory outside the University, for instance with a company or a research institution.


During the year away you remain registered at York and will pay reduced tuition fees. (No fees are payable to the host institution.)


Prerequisites and academic performance

It is essential to have some knowledge of German, French or Spanish on entry (AS level is the course requirement, except for the exchange to Denmark, where teaching is in English). Languages for All (LFA) courses (2 hours per week), during the First and Second year are compulsory to prepare students for a year in Europe, and we expect students intending to partake in the scheme to achieve a minimum of Level 3 in their chosen language by the end of Term 6.  Students with an existing A level in a language are encouraged to continue to Level 4.

If you think another level would be more appropriate, could you please contact Katie Smith. When registering with Languages For All, your current level will be checked, and you will be admitted to a course at a level that is most suitable for you. At the end of each LFA course there will be an assessment which you are required to pass.

If you have not yet done so, could you please make sure you enrol for one of the courses (the courses run through the whole academic year).

Tuition fees for the language courses will be reimbursed at the end of the second year, as long as you have completed the course satisfactorily, and are registered to take the Year in Europe.

Note: if you are fluent in the foreign language already (because it is your native language, for example), then you do not need to attend LFA courses.

Academic performance

In order to be eligible for a year in Europe, you will normally be expected to achieve a minimum academic standard (average of 50) in continuous assessment over terms 1-4. Upon poorer performance you will be requested to transfer back to a 3-year programme.


First year students

Throughout this year attend the language courses and use the facilities provided. 

Autumn Term

  • Register for language courses with Languages For All on campus.
  • Introductory meeting with returning students and visiting students (time and venue to be specified).

Second year students

Throughout this year continue to attend Languages for all courses.

Autumn Term

  • A meeting will be arranged with students who were abroad during the previous year, and the current visiting students from the partner Universities. This will give you the chance to discuss with them what it's really like doing the year away. You are encouraged to remain in contact with these students during this year, as they can provide first hand information on the host University, the town and the country.

Spring term

  • We will provide you with application forms for the host University. Deadlines can vary.
  • Make sure you have a passport valid for the year away and 3 months beyond.

Summer term

  • Fill out the accommodation form, visiting students and previous year's students will be able to suggest the best places. You will receive the forms after your application has been processed by the host University. 
  • Get an International Student Identity Card from NYS Travel; this will get you reductions on travel fares, and other things.
  • Another meeting with students who have returned so that you can discuss with them any open questions.
  • Register for intensive language course in the host country. In Germany, this is free; in France you have to cover the costs yourself.
  • Arrange your travel.

Summer vacation

  • Get the book on health advice for travellers from your Post Office; this will have details about the forms you need for health and dental cover. There are no costs.
  • Check the documents required by the institution you are visiting to make sure that you have everything you need to take with you (e.g. birth certificate, lots of passport-sized photos, etc.).
  • Organise your registration at York for the following year (no tuition fees required).

Third year students

Your placement year

  • On arrival, make contact with the Erasmus co-ordinator in the Department you are visiting. You will need to organise your course in consultation with him/her.
  • Organise e-mail back to York, so that we can be in regular contact with you.
  • You will need to organise a research project, as this constitutes an important part of your work.

Fourth year students

Final year back at York

  • Basically back to normal at York. Any help you can give to the first and second years would be much appreciated. 

Project Information

Submitting your project report

All information on how to submit your project can be found on the Biology VLE and in your departure booklet. 


You are required to submit an electronic copy of your report to the VLE. Further information, including the report deadline, can be found on the VLE.

Failure to submit your projects by the stated deadline will result in penalties being applied.

Information on projects can be found on the Biology project website


Key Contacts

If you have any questions about the Erasmus scheme in Biology please contact

Information on this scheme is available from the University Study Abroad Office.