Summer vacation work

The Summer vacation is a great time to get some work experience that will look good on your CV, as well as some money in your pocket. Below you'll find information about schemes that will allow you to undertake laboratory research during your summer vacation. These schemes are primarily aimed at students after their second year.

Careers advertise summer vacation placements and internships in a variety of roles through the Careers Gateway.

Summer research placements at the University of York

The Department of Biology currently operates a scheme where postdoctoral researchers can apply for funding to create a Summer Studentship. In addition, academic staff can often apply on behalf of a student for a Summer bursary (PDF , 40kb)

Talk to members of academic staff working in areas that sound interesting to you to find out if they are planning on taking on a summer student. You can check the lists of academic staff under subject areas here:


Erasmus+ Scheme

Erasmus+ provides a grant for higher education students to carry out a work experience placement in a choice of 32 countries across Europe, as part of their degree. You get to travel, you get to improve your language skills, you get paid, you’ll earn credits and you get that most precious word of all: experience.

Higher education students can take your internship in your first year, or even in the year after you’ve graduated (provided you’ve applied before your graduation) but it must fit in around your studies.

Further details here

If you are interested please contact the study abroad office