Prof. David Stocker, MA (Cantab. & York), DLitt, FSA, MCIfA is a professional archaeologist, architectural historian and heritage manager specialising particularly - though not exclusively - in the archaeology and history of the medieval period, especially in buildings, settlements and landscapes. His research work has focussed particularly on Lincolnshire topics, though he has also published on projects based in nine other English counties, including York and Yorkshire. His most recent paper, for example, (one of many projects undertaken jointly with long-standing friend and colleague Paul Everson) re-considers the development of early-medieval Chester. His most recent volume (also undertaken jointly with Paul Everson) is The Corpus of Anglo-Saxon Sculpture volume XII. Nottinghamshire (Oxford UP/British Academy), published in 2015, which aims to exploit the county’s stone sculpture as evidence for its first-millennium history.
After studying history and history of art at Cambridge, he studied for an MA at York in Medieval Studies (there being no Archaeology Department) in 1978-9 and he joined the York Archaeological Trust on its completion. Following a short period as a free-lance specialist, he took a post at the Lincoln Archaeological Trust (1982-6). He joined English Heritage as an Assistant Inspector in 1986, where he spent five years as casework inspector for the North, North-East and Yorkshire followed by five years as a manager within the Monuments Protection Programme, running a team of investigators and handling policy development for designation in towns, industrial monuments and churches. Finally, after two years spent establishing the Archaeology Training Forum, and before retiring from English Heritage in 2012, he spent twelve years in the Characterisation team, developing heritage management initiatives in Landscapes, Settlements, and Churches. He was appointed Hon. Visiting Professor in the Institute for Medieval Studies at Leeds University in 2010 and was awarded a DLitt in Archaeology by the University of York three years later. He was also appointed to the Heritage Lottery Fund’s East Midland Committee in 2013, and, in 2017, he was nominated to the Council of the National Trust by the Council for British Archaeology.
David has played a number of roles within British Archaeology including: Director of the British Archaeological Association (1987-1990); (founding) Chair of the Institute of Field Archaeologists Buildings Group (1989-91); Honorary Fellow in Archaeology at University of York (1999-2004); (founding) Secretary of the Archaeology Training Forum (1998-2002); Vice-President of the Society for Medieval Archaeology (2005-2010); Trustee of the Council for British Archaeology (2007-16); Trustee of the Lincoln Record Society (since 2007) and its President (since 2015); Trustee of the Society for Lincolnshire History and Archaeology (since 2008); and Trustee (2006-2016) and Chair (2010-16) of the Society for Church Archaeology.
‘Archaeology and Archiepiscopal Reform: Greater Churches in York Diocese in the 11th century’, The Archaeology of the 11th century. Continuities and Transformations (eds. D Hadley and C Dyer), SMA Monographs series No.38, Routledge London and New York, 177-202. (Co-author with P Everson).
‘Transactions on the Dee: the ‘exceptional’ collection of early sculpture at St John’s, Chester’ in E Cambridge and J Hawkes (eds.), Crossing Boundaries: Interdisciplinary Approaches to the Art, Material Culture, Language and Literature of the Early Medieval World. Festschrift in honour of Professor Richard Bailey, (Co-author with P Everson). Oxford, Oxbow, 160-178.
Review of J Schofield et al., St Paul’s Cathedral. Archaeology and History, Oxbow, Oxford 2016, in Transactions of the London and Middlesex Archaeological Society, 68, 2017 forthcoming.
Lincolnshire. A Handbook to theVernacular Architecture Group Spring Conference, March 29th-April 1st 2016 (Editor, and author of Introductions and text on Lincoln City), SLHA, Lincoln.
‘The ‘Reform’ of religious landscape 950-1200: Premonstratensians and their predecessors at Barlings Abbey, Lincolnshire’, Places of Worship in Britain and Ireland, 950-1150 (ed. P Barnwell),
Rewley House Studies in the Historic Environment, 5, Donington, 103-124. (co-author with P Everson).
Review of K Elkin (ed.) Medieval Leicestershire. Recent Research on the Medieval Archaeology of Leicestershire, Leicestershire Fieldworkers Monograph No.3, Leicester 2015, Medieval Archaeology 60, 191.
Corpus of Anglo-Saxon Stone Sculpture. Volume 12, Nottinghamshire, British Academy/Oxford, (co-author with P Everson).
‘Erratics and enterprise: Lincolnshire grave-covers in Norwich and Thetford and some implications for urban development in the tenth century’, Art Architecture and Archaeology in Norwich and Norfolk, Transactions of the British Archaeological Association XXXVIII (eds. S Heslop & H Lunnon), 23-43 (co-author with P Everson).
‘Lincolnshire’s Middle Trent Valley: The building stock before enclosure. The case of Manor Farm House, Thorpe-on-the-Hill’, Vernacular Architecture, 46, 2015, 40-65 (leading author).
Review of N Christie and O Creighton, Transforming Townscapes. From Burh to Borough: The Archaeology of Wallingford, AD 800-1400, Landscapes, 16/2, 2015, 196-7.
‘Wool, Cloth and Politics 1430-1485: the case of the Merchant Stockers of Wyboston and London’, The Medieval Merchant. Proceedings of the Harlaxton Conference 2012 (eds. C Barron and A Sutton), Harlaxton Medieval Studies XXIV, Donington, 2014, 127-145.
‘A public appeal for funds for the repair of Newport Arch, Lincoln, in 1825’, Lincolnshire Past and Present, 96 Summer 2014, 3-7.
‘Colossal Churches in Colossal Parishes’, The Light Ships. Church, Art and Community in the Lincolnshire Fens (ed. F Mattarasso), Regular Marvels 4, Transported 2014, Holbeach, 27-34.
‘The Rector’s Gift. Integrating church development and village landscape at Car Colston (Nottinghamshire) and elsewhere’, (Co-author with P Everson), Church Archaeology 18, 2014, 67-84.
Review of Anne Rowe & Tom Williamson, Hertfordshire a Landscape History (University of Hertfordshire Press), 2013. International Journal of Regional and Local History 9/2, Nov.2014, 143-4.
Review of Evelyn Baker (ed.), La Grava: The Archaeology and History of a Royal Manor and Alien Priory of Fontevrault, CBA Res. Rep. 167, York, CBA 2013. Medieval Settlement Research 29, 2014, 94.
‘High Farming on the High Wolds – William Nicholson’s four early Gothic churches’, Lincolnshire Churches Trust. The Diamond Jubilee 1953-2013, (ed. C. Knowles et.al.), Grantham, 18-21.
‘Aristocrats, burghers and their markets: patterns in the foundation of Lincoln’s urban churches’, Life in Viking-Age Towns. Social Approaches to Towns in England and Ireland 800-1100 (eds. D M Hadley and L Ten Harkel), Oxbow, Oxford, 119-43.
Séminaire In Lincoln. The Conference Handbook. Author of Introductions and Contributions on Lincoln City.
‘Lawrence Butler and the ‘minor’ monument. A Tribute’, Church Archaeology 17, 107-13.
Review of G Brown, Stanley Abbey and its Estates 1151-c1640. A Cistercian monastery and its impact on the landscape, British Archaeological Reports British Series 566. Medieval Settlement Research 28, 105-6.
Review of W Rodwell, Barton on Humber Volume 1, (Oxbow, Oxford, 2012). Journal of the British Archaeological Association 166, 204-6.
Review of H Gittos, Liturgy, Architecture and Sacred Places (Oxford University Press, 2013).
Landscape History 34:2, 105-6.
Review of B Sloane et.al. The Augustinian Nunnery of St Mary Clerkenwell excavations 1974-96, Museum of London Monograph 57, London 2012. Journal of the London and Middlesex Archaeological Society 64, 2013, 316-8.
Religion and Ritual Sites post AD410. An English Heritage Designation Selection Guide, English Heritage, London. (Principal author and editor).
Various contributions in Plans in Place: Promoting Local Character in Lincoln (principal author A Partington), Lincoln City Council/HLF, Lincoln, 2012.
‘Chapter 11, Wharram before the Village Moment’, A History of Wharram Percy and its neighbours. Wharram. A Study of Settlement on the Yorkshire Wolds, XIII(ed. S Wrathmell), York, 164-
172 (co-author with P Everson).
‘Chapter 13, Why at Wharram? The foundation of the nucleated settlement’, A History of Wharram Percy and its neighbours. Wharram. A Study of Settlement on the Yorkshire Wolds, XIII(ed. S Wrathmell), York, 208-220 (co-author with P Everson).
‘Chapter 15, A New Understanding of the Church Fabric’, A History of Wharram Percy and its neighbours. Wharram. A Study of Settlement on the Yorkshire Wolds, XIII(ed. S Wrathmell), York, 240-262.
‘Chapter 16, Who at Wharram?’, A History of Wharram Percy and its neighbours. Wharram. A Study of Settlement on the Yorkshire Wolds, XIII(ed. S Wrathmell), York, 208-220 (co-author with P Everson).
‘Place-names and landscape; an archaeological perspective’, Sense of Place in Anglo-Saxon England, (eds. R Jones and S Semple), Shaun Tyas, Donington, 61-75 (co- author with P Everson).
‘A Fanfare for the Noble Man? The Rise of Wharram’s Manorial Elite’, Medieval Settlement Research 27, 12-19 (co-author with P Everson).
Review of A Walsham, The Reformation of Landscape. Religion Identity & Memory in Early Modern England & Ireland, Oxford, 2011, in Landscapes Vol.12/2, 2012, 101-3.
Review of R Schott et al. (eds.), Landscapes of Cult and Kingship, Dublin, 2011 in Landscapes 13/2, 92-5.
Custodians of Continuity. The Premonstratensian Abbey at Barlings and the landscape of ritual, English Heritage/HTL, London and Heckington. (co-author with P Everson).
The Making of Grantham: The Medieval Town, Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire, Heckington (co-editor with David Start).
‘Introduction. Grantham: An Historical Bypass?’ (co-author with David Start), in D Start and D Stocker (eds.), The Making of Grantham: The Medieval Town, Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire,
‘The Oratory, The Apple Cross and the Gifts of Bishop Fox’, in D Start and D Stocker (eds.), The Making of Grantham: The Medieval Town, Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire, Heckington, 151-82.
‘The Chapel of St Peter, The Eleanor and Market Crosses’, in D Start and D Stocker (eds.), The Making of Grantham: The Medieval Town, Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire, 183-96.
‘Some Early Secular Buildings of Grantham’ (co-author with David Start), in D Start and D Stocker (eds.) The Making of Grantham: The Medieval Town, Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire, Heckington, 209-36.
‘Conclusion: Grantham’s progress in Medieval Times’, in D Start and D Stocker (eds.), The Making of Grantham: The Medieval Town, Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire, Heckington, 253-72.
‘A Late Anglo-Saxon graveyard at St Paul’s’, St Paul’s Cathedral before Wren (ed. J Schofield), London, 254-65.
‘The Works Chantry Screen in the Great South Transept of Lincoln Cathedral’, Church Archaeology 15, 35-46.
Review of T H Jolliffe, Archaeology of the Upper Witham Valley: prehistoric visitors, Iron Age settlements and a Romano-British landscape dominated by a new villa. British Archaeological Reports (British Series 524), Oxford, 2010 in Lincolnshire History and Archaeology 46, 89- 91.
‘Tattershall Castle - A Bibliographic Note’, The Building Accounts of Tattershall Castle 1434-1472 (ed. W.D. Simpson) LRS 55, (2nd edition), Woodbridge, 2010.
Review of R Moss, Romanesque Chevron Ornament. The Language of British, Norman and Irish Sculpture in the Twelfth Century (BAR IS 1908), Oxford 2009, in Medieval Archaeology 54, 2010, 511-2.
Review of A Fox, A Lost Frontier Revealed. Regional Separation in the East Midlands, Studies in Regional and Local History 7, Hertford 2009 in Landscapes 10/2, 102-4.
‘St Paul’s Cathedral, 604-1087’, The London Archaeologist, 12/3, 79-86 (co-author with J Schofield and L Blackmore).
‘The Medieval suburbs of Newport and Westcastle’, Uphill Lincoln I: Burton Road, Newport, and the Ermine Estate (ed. A Walker), Survey of Lincoln, Lincoln, 7-11.
‘The Witham Valley; a landscape with monasteries?’, Church Archaeology 13 (co-author with P Everson), 1-15.
‘Flixborough: Just a load of old rubbish?’ (Review article based on four volumes of Flixborough excavation report), Lincolnshire History and Archaeology 44, 87-9.
Review of K Leahy, The Anglo-Saxon Kingdom of Lindsey, 2007, in Medieval Archaeology 53, 2009, 387-8.
Review of K Leahy, ‘Interrupting the Pots’. The Excavation of Cleatham Anglo-Saxon Cemetery, North Lincolnshire. (CBA Research Report 155), 2007, in Medieval Archaeology 53, 2009, 391-2.
Review of N Saul, English Church Monuments in the Middle Ages, History and Representation, 2009, in Church Archaeology 13 , 67-9.
‘Explaining LARA. The Lincoln Archaeological Research Assessment in its policy context’, The Heritage Reader (eds. G Fairclough, R Harrison, J H Jameson & J Schofield), Routledge, Abingdon & New York, 340-5.
‘Masters of Kirkstead: Hunting for Salvation’, Kings Lynn and the Fens. Medieval Art, Architecture and Archaeology in (ed. J McNeill). BAA Conference Transactions XXXI (for 2005), Leeds,
83-111 (co-author with P Everson).
‘Little Sturton Rediscovered. Part 2: Sturton Old Hall and its owners’, Lincolnshire History and Archaeology 43, 2008, 7-46 (co-author with P Everson and B, Lott).
‘St Swithin’s Church, Baumber and the burial of Dukes of Newcastle-under-Lyne’, Lincolnshire History and Archaeology 43, 2008, 60-7 (co-author with P Everson).
Review Article, Barnard Castle. Acts of Perception (D Austin et al), Landscapes 9/1, 2008, 82-6
Review of Seeley, Phillpotts & Samuel, Winchester Palace. Excavations at the Southwark Residence of the Bishops of Winchester, in Transactions of London and Middlesex Archaeological Society 59, 2008, 00.
‘Charles Richard Land (No. 1332099). An account of his service in the RAF, 1941-3 and of the destruction of Lancaster ED496 - E. on 4th February 1943’. An unpublished report lodged in the Lincolnshire HER and accessible through the Heritage Gateway.
‘Pre-Conquest Stonework - The early graveyard in context’ and ‘Stone associated with Burial EE120’, Wharram. A Study of Settlement on the Yorkshire Wolds, XI. The Churchyard’ (eds. S Mays, C Harding and C Heighway), York University Archaeological Publications 13, York 2007, 271-87, 293-4.
‘St Leonard’s Chapel Kirkstead, Lincolnshire: The Landscape of the Cistercian Monastic Precinct’, Medieval Landscapes. Landscape History after Hoskins Volume 2 (eds. M Gardiner and S Rippon), Windgather Press, Macclesfield, 2007. 215-230 (co-author with P Everson).
‘Two Newly Discovered fragments of Pre-Viking Sculpture: Evidence for a hitherto unsuspected early church site at South Leverton, Nottinghamshire?’, Transactions of the Thoroton Society of Nottinghamshire 111, 2007, 33-49 (co-author with P Everson).
‘Grantham’s Apple Cross ripe for reconsideration’, Church Archaeology 11, 39-41.
Review of N Baker and R Holt, Urban Growth and the Medieval Church. Gloucester and Worcester in Speculum 64, 2007, 681-3.
Review of S Roffey, The Medieval Chantry Chapel. An Archaeology, 2007, in Church Archaeology 11, 2007, 100-01.
Review of Medieval Art, Architecture and Archaeology at Rochester (ed. T Ayers and T Tatton-Brown) in Medieval Archaeology 51, 2007, 358-9.
Summoning St Michael. Early Romanesque Towers in Lincolnshire., Oxbow, Oxford (co-author with P Everson).
England’s Landscape Volume 5. The East Midlands, Harper-Collins, London.
‘The Common Steeple? Church, Liturgy and settlement in Early Medieval Lincolnshire’, Anglo- Norman Studies XXVII. Proceedings of the Battle Conference 2005 (ed. C P Lewis) (co- author with P Everson), Woodbridge, 103-23.
Cantate Domino. Vicars Choral at English Cathedrals, Oxbow, Oxford (co-editor with R A Hall).
‘The Development of the College of Vicar’s Choral at Lincoln Minster’, Cantate Domino. Vicars Choral at English Cathedrals (eds. D Stocker & R A Hall), Oxford, 76-97.
‘The Vicars Choral of York – A Summary and Interpretation of Recent Archaeological Work’, Cantate Domino. Vicars Choral at English Cathedrals (ed. D Stocker & R A Hall), Oxford, 147-63.
‘The quest for one’s own front door: housing the Vicars Choral at the English Cathedrals’, Vernacular Architecture 36, 2005, 15-31.
‘Little Sturton Rediscovered. Part 1: The Grange of Kirkstead Abbey’, Lincolnshire History and Archaeology, 40, 2005, 7-14 (jointly with P Everson).
Review of J. Hawkes, The Sandbach Crosses. Sign and Significance in Anglo-Saxon Sculpture, in Journal of the British Archaeological Association 158, 99-100.
Review of J. Schofield, Priory of the Holy Trinity Aldgate Report, in Transactions of London and Middlesex Archaeological Society 56, 2005, 184-5.
Review of J. Schofield, Priory of the Holy Trinity Aldgate Report, in Archaeological Journal 162, 2005, 354
Review of R. Bearman (ed.), Stoneleigh Abbey. The House, Its Owners Its Lands, in Church Archaeology 7-9, 2003-5, 183.
‘The Two Early Castles of Lincoln’, The Early History of Lincoln Castle, Occasional Papers in Lincolnshire History and Archaeology 12 (ed. P Lindley), Lincoln, 9-22.
‘The Common Steeple? Church and settlement in early medieval Lincolnshire’, Medieval Settlement Research Group Annual Report 19, 2004, 5-6 (jointly with P Everson).
‘Urban Characterisation - Lincoln’, Conservation Bulletin 47, 2004-5, 12-13
The City by the Pool. Assessing the Archaeology of Lincoln. Lincoln Archaeological Studies 10, Oxbow, Oxford (co-author with M J Jones and A G Vince and sole editor).
‘A 13th-century corbel from Shulbrede Priory’, Fernhurst Furnace and other Industrial Sites in the Western Weald. Chichester District Archaeology 2 (ed. J R Magilton), Chichester, 57-8.
‘The archaeology of vice-regality, Barlings, Kirkstead and Tattershall after the Lincolnshire Rising’, The Archaeology of Reformation 1480-1580 (eds. D Gaimster & R Gilchrist), SPMA
monograph 1, Leeds, 145-58 (co-author with P Everson).
‘The Straight and Narrow Way - Fenland causeways and the conversion of the landscape in the Witham Valley, Lincolnshire’, The Cross goes North, (ed. M Carver), Woodbridge, 271-88 (co-author with P Everson).
‘”Coming from Bardney…” – The Landscape Context of the Causeways and finds groups of the Witham Valley’, Time and Tide. The Archaeology of the Witham Valley. Proceedings of the Witham Archaeological Seminar of December 2001 (eds. S Catney & D Start), Sleaford, 6-15 (co-author with P Everson).
‘Lord Hussey’s Windows. Martyrdom through Defenestration in Lincoln?’, Antiquaries Journal, Vol. 83, 471-85.
Review of M. Johnson, Behind the Castle Gate, in Archaeological Journal Vol. 160, 336-7.
Review of C Heighway, R Bryant et al., The Golden Minster. The Anglo-Saxon Minster and Later Medieval Priory of St Oswald at Gloucester and D Wilkinson and A McWhirr.
Cirencester Anglo-Saxon Church and Medieval Abbey, in Transactions of the Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society, Vol. 121, 301-3.
‘St William’s Chapel’, The Fairest Arch in England … Old Ouse Bridge, York, and its Buildings, The Archaeology of York Supplementary Series 2, (eds. B Wilson & F Mee), York, 39-47 (published anonymously).
‘Salle et Hall dans les bâtiments urbains des douzième et treizième siècles’, La Maison Médiévale en Normandie et en Angleterre. Actes des tables rondes de Rouen (16 et 17 Octobre 1998) et Norwich (16 et 17 Avril 1999), (eds. B Ayers & D Pitte), Rouen, 41-6.
Review of T Eaton, Plundering the Past, in Medieval Archaeology Vol. 46, 187-8.
Review of Utilis est lapis in structura. Mélanges offerts à Léon Pressouyre (eds. M François & P-Y Le Pogam),in Medieval Archaeology Vol. 46, 171-3.
‘Building 25: Architectural discussion’, ‘Bedern Chapel’, ‘Bedern Hall’ and ‘The post-medieval chapel’, The Vicars Choral of York Minster: The College at Bedern (Fascicule 10/5 in the Archaeology of York series) (ed. J Richards) CBA, York, 473-5, 541-559, 583-602 & 646-650.
‘Five Towns Funerals: decoding diversity in Danelaw stone sculpture’, Vikings and the Danelaw Select Papers from the Proceedings of the Thirteenth Viking Congress,Nottingham and York, 21-30 August 1997, (eds. J Graham-Campbell, R Hall, J Jesch, D N Parsons), Oxford, 223-243 (co-author with P Everson).
‘The Southwell lintel - its style and significance’, Vikings and the Danelaw Select Papers from the Proceedings of the Thirteenth Viking Congress, Nottingham and York, 21-30 August 1997, (eds. J Graham-Campbell, R Hall, J Jesch, D N Parsons), Oxford, 245-268 (co-author with P Dixon & O Owen).
‘The Great Tower’, ‘Henry III’s Great Hall’, ‘The Market Cross’ and ‘The Architectural Fragments’, Ludgershall Castle, Wiltshire, Excavations by Peter Addyman 1964-1972 Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Society Monograph Series No.2 (ed. P Ellis), Devizes, 82-96, 115-119, 200-223.
‘Foreword’, An Atlas of Rural Settlement in England (eds. B K Roberts & S Wrathmell), English Heritage, London, viii-ix.
‘Monuments and Merchants: Irregularities in the Distribution of Stone Sculpture in Lincolnshire and Yorkshire in the Tenth century’, Cultures in Contact: Scandinavian Settlement in England in the Ninth and Tenth Centuries (eds. D Hadley & J Richards), Brepols, Turnhout, 179-212.
A newly identified figure of the Virgin from a late Anglo-Saxon rood at Great Hale Lincolnshire’, Antiquaries Journal, Vol. 80, 285-94 (co-author with P Everson).
‘Sex, Self-Censorship and the Anglo-Saxonist: Baldwin Brown’s sheela at Great Hale’, Lincolnshire Past and Present, Vol. 42, Winter 2000/01, 3-6 (co-author with P Everson).
‘Protecting Industrial Sites – an interim report on the MPP’, Industrial Archaeology News (The Bulletin of the Association for Industrial Archaeology), Vol. 115, Winter 2000, 2-4.
Corpus of Anglo-Saxon Stone Sculpture. Volume 5, Lincolnshire, The British Academy/Oxford. (co-author with P Everson).
The College of the Vicars Choral of York Minster at Bedern: Architectural Fragments (Fascicule 10/4 in the Archaeology of York series), CBA, York.
‘A Very Goodly House Longging to Sutton ..., A Reconstruction of John of Gaunt’s Palace, Lincoln’, Lincolnshire History and Archaeology, Vol. 34, 5-15.
Review of M Thurlby, The Herefordshire School of Sculpture, in MSRG Annual Report, Vol. 14, 48-9.
‘The Pre-History of Conservation’, Reconstruction & Regeneration. The Philosophy of Conservation. (Proceedings of the IHBC Canterbury Conference 1997) (ed. D Kincaid), Canterbury, 6-12.
'A Hitherto Unidentified Image of the Mithraic God Arimanius at Lincoln?', Britannia, Vol. 29, 359-63.
Review of K Blockley et al. Excavations at Canterbury Cathedral 1993, in Church Archaeology Vol. 2, 74-7.
'The Lincoln Stonebow and the Flattery of Princes', Journal of the British Archaeological Association, Vol.150, 96-105.
'Fons et Origo. The symbolic death, burial and resurrection of English font-stones', Church
Archaeology, Vol. 1, 17-25.
'"Also a Soldier ...", Evidence for a Mithraeum in Lincoln?', Lincolnshire History and Archaeology, Vol. 32, 21-24.
‘The Early Norman Castle at Lincoln and a Re-evaluation of the original west tower of Lincoln Cathedral’, Medieval Archaeology, Vol. 41, 223-33 (co-author with A Vince).
'Rural Settlement in England: An English Heritage Mapping Project', Ruralia I, Papers of the conference Ruralia I, Prague 8th - 14th September 1995, Pamatky Archeologicke – Supplementum 5, Prague, 72-79 (co-author with B K Roberts & S Wrathmell).
'Sacred Profanity: the theology of rabbit breeding and the symbolic landscape of the warren', World Archaeology Vol.28, 265-72 (co-author with M Stocker).
'Industrial Archaeology and the Monuments Protection Programme', Managing the Industrial Heritage (eds. M. Palmer, and P. Neaverson), Leicester, 105-13.
'The Priory of The Holy Trinity, York: Antiquarians and Architectural History', Yorkshire Monasticism. Archaeology, Art and Architecture, from the 7th to the 16th Century. Transactions of the BAA for 1988 (ed. L Hoey), 78-96.
'Who Settled Where and Why?', Conservation Bulletin, Vol.27, July 1995, 17-19.
'Choosing Industrial Monuments', Conservation Bulletin, Vol.28, November 1995, 8-9.
'The Evidence for a Pre-Viking church Adjacent to the Anglo-Saxon Barrow at Taplow, Buckinghamshire', Archaeological Journal, Vol.152, 441-54 (co-author with D Went).
'Introduction. Understanding what we Conserve', Buildings Archaeology. Applications in Practice (Oxbow Monograph No.43) (eds. J. Wood, G. Chitty, R. Hook and D. Stocker), Oxford, 1-9.
Review of P Rockwell, The Art of Stoneworking, in British Archaeological News, New Ser. Vol. 16, 11.
'The Early Church in Lincolnshire. A Study of the Sites and their Significance', Pre-Viking Lindsey. Lincoln Archaeological Studies No.1 (ed. A.G. Vince), CLAU, Lincoln, 101-22.
'Recording Worked Stone', Advances in Monastic Archaeology, British Archaeological Reports (British Series 227) (eds. R. Gilchrist & H. Mytum), Oxford, 19-27.
'Introduction', The City of Durham: An Archaeological Survey (ed. P. Lowther) (Durham Archaeological Journal Volume. 9), 27-30.
'Medieval Rural Settlements and the Monuments Protection Programme', Medieval Settlement Research Group, Annual Review, Vol. 8, 15 (co-author with B.K. Roberts & S. Wrathmell).
Review of N Higham and P Barker, Timber Castles, in Archaeological Journal, Vol. 150, 546-8.
Review of N Pevsner et al., The Buildings of England. Northumberland (2nd edition.), in Archaeological Journal, Vol. 150, 541-2.
'Broken Toes or Interdisciplinary Ballet: Architectural History, Archaeology and the Recording of Buildings', The Field Archaeologist, Vol.16, 302-3.
'The Shadow of the Generals Armchair', Archaeological Journal, Vol.149, 415-20.
St Mary's Guildhall, Lincoln. The Survey and Excavation of a Medieval Building Complex (Fascicule XII/1 in the Archaeology of Lincoln series), CBA, London.
Review of T B James, The Palaces of Medieval England, in Archaeological Journal, Vol. 148, 318-9.
'Rubbish Recycled: A Study of the Re-use of stone in Lincolnshire', Stone. Quarrying and Building in England AD 43-1525, (ed. D. Parsons), Phillimore/RAI, Chichester, 83-101 (co-author with P Everson).
‘The Archaeology of the Reformation in Lincoln. A Case Study in the Redistribution of Building Materials in the Mid Sixteenth Century’, Lincolnshire History and Archaeology, Vol. 25, 18-32.
‘Fragment of a Decorated Late Saxon Grave-cover from Glentham’, Lincolnshire History and Archaeology, Vol. 25, 53-4 (co-author with P. Everson).
Review of J Blair (ed.), Minsters and Parish Churches. The Local Church in Transition, 950-1200, in Journal of British Archaeological Association, Vol. 143, 140-3.
Various contributions in The Buildings of England - Lincolnshire (2nd edition), by N Pevsner, and J Harris, (ed. N. Antram), Harmondsworth.
Review of G Beresford, Goltho, The development of an early medieval manor c.850-1150, in Archaeological Journal, Vol. 146, 627-9.
'Two Architectural Fragments', Medieval Tenements in Aldwark and Other Sites (Fascicule 10/2 in the Archaeology of York series) (eds. R A Hall, H Macgregor and M Stockwell), CBA, London, 114-5.
‘A Recently Discovered Romanesque Gravecover from Lincoln and its local affiliations’, Lincolnshire History and Archaeology, Vol. 23, 31-4.
Review of G Zarnecki, Romanesque Sculpture at Lincoln, in Lincolnshire History and Archaeology, Vol. 23, 100.
Recording Worked Stones: A Practical Guide (CBA Archaeological Handbooks Series, No.1), CBA, London (co-author and co-editor with R. K. Morris).
The Churches of St. Mary Bishophill Junior and St. Mary Castlegate, York (Fascicule 8/2 in the Archaeology of York series), CBA, London (co-author with L.P. Wenham et al.).
'The Mystery of the Shrines of St. Hugh', St Hugh of Lincoln (ed. H. Mayr-Harting), OUP, Oxford, 89-124.
Review of M F Hearn on Ripon Minster, in Churchscape, The Annual Report of the Council for the Care of Churches.
Review of J H Harvey, A Dictionary of Medieval Architects (2nd. Edition), in Medieval Archaeology Vol. 31, 1987, 214.
The Church and Graveyard of St Mark, Lincoln (Fascicule XIII/1 in the Archaeology of Lincoln series), CBA, London (editor and co-author with B.J. J. Gilmour).
'The Architectural Fragments' and 'The Sepulchral Fragments', The Church and Cemetery of St Mark, Lincoln (Fascicule XIII/1 in the Archaeology of Lincoln series) (eds. B. Gilmour & D.A. Stocker), CBA, London, 44-82.
‘The Shrine of Little St Hugh of Lincoln’, Medieval Art, and Architecture at Lincoln Cathedral: Proceedings of the British Archaeological Association Annual Meeting, 1982, London, 109-17.
St Mary's Guildhall: An Historical and Archaeological Guide, Lincoln Civic Trust, Lincoln (co-author with C. P. C. Johnson).
'The Tomb and Shrine of Bishop Grosseteste in Lincoln Cathedral', England in the Thirteenth Century (ed. W. M. Ormrod), University of Evansville Press, Nottingham, 143-8.
‘The Shrine of Bishop Grosseteste’, Archaeology in Lincolnshire 1984-5, First Annual Report of the Trust for Lincolnshire Archaeology, 54-5.
'Excavations at Lincoln Minster 1984-5: An Interim Report', Lincolnshire History and Archaeology, Vol. 20, 15-20.
‘Lincoln Cathedral (an interim report on excavations 1984-5)’, Archaeology in Lincolnshire 1984-5.
First Annual Report of the Trust for Lincolnshire Archaeology, 42-3.
Lincoln Castle: A Comprehensive Guide, Lincolnshire County Council, Lincoln (co-author with H. Elliott).
'Four views of Clementhorpe Priory, York', The History of Clementhorpe Nunnery (Fascicule 2/1 in the Archaeology of York series) (eds. R.B. Dobson & S. Donaghey), CBA, London, 31-4.
'The Franciscan Friary at Lincoln: A Reassessment', Archaeological Papers from York: Essays in honour of M.W. Barley (eds. P.V. Addyman & V. Black), YAT, York, 137-44.
'Recent work at The Monk's Abbey, Lincoln', Lincolnshire History and Archaeology, Vol. 19, 103-5.
'The West Gate of Lincoln Castle', Archaeology in Lincoln 1982-3, 18-27.
'The Tower of St Benedict's Church Lincoln', Lincolnshire History and Archaeology, Vol.17, 82-3.
'St Mary's Guildhall Lincoln', Archaeology in Lincoln 1981-2, 8-16 (co-author with J. Magilton).
'St. Nicholas' Church, Walmgate, York', Interim. The Bulletin of York Archaeology, Vol. VII/3, 5-10.
'Architectural Fragments in York: An Outline of the Problem', CBA Churches Bulletin, Vol. 15, 9-13.
'The Architectural Fragments', The church of St Helen-on-the-Walls, York (Fascicule 10/1 in the Archaeology of York Series)(ed. J.R. Magilton), CBA, London, 29-36.
'The Bedern Hall, York, Part 1', Interim. The Bulletin of York Archaeology, Vol.VII/1, 21-6 (co-author with C. Wilson).
'The Bedern Hall, York, Part 2', Interim. The Bulletin of York Archaeology, Vol.VII/2, 30-8 (co-author with C. Wilson).
'How does your garden grow ...?', Interim, The Bulletin of York Archaeology, Vol.VI/4, 3-8.
1) Books in preparation
Freiburg Letters. Letters from an Englishwoman in Freiburg to her missing husband 1942-1946, Orion Books, London, forthcoming (c.2018). (Co-editor with M. Bassett & R Morris).
Thomas Sympson’s Adversaria, or Collections for a History of Lincoln, 1737 (a critical edition), Lincoln Record Society, forthcoming, (c.2019). (Co-editor with P Everson).
Corpus of Anglo-Saxon Stone Sculpture. Volume 15, Cambridgeshire, The British Academy/Oxford, 2020, forthcoming (2020). (Co-author with P Everson).
Sacred Landscapes of Monasticism (Co-author with P Everson, D Austin et al.), forthcoming (2021).
The Castles of Lincolnshire – A Fresh Look. Investigating Lincolnshire’s Castles: a collection of recent studies. Society for Lincolnshire History and Archaeology, Supplementary Series, forthcoming (c.2021). (Author & co-editor with D Roffe, D Start, and D Wright).
Turn Again ... The Stocker Family – Wool-merchants of London and Wyboston. 1420-1485, Boydells Woodbridge, forthcoming (c.2021).
Lincoln before St Hugh, publisher yet to be decided (Interest from Oxbow). Publication details and date not yet decided (editor and co-author with P Dixon, RDH Gem & D Taylor).
2) Forthcoming contributions to Books, Reports and Journals
‘‘The Cros in the Markitte Stede’.The Louth Cross, its Monastery and its Town’, Medieval Archaeology, 61/2, forthcoming (2017). (Co-author with P Everson).
‘Wulfwig’s purchase’: a red herring in Louth’s historiography?’, Lincolnshire History and Archaeology 50, 2014 forthcoming (2017). (Co-author with Paul Everson)
‘Potestas Petri: Barnack and Peterborough in the tenth and eleventh centuries, Art, Architecture and Archaeology at Peterborough and the Soke, Transactions of the British Archaeological Association for 2015, forthcoming (2018). (Co-author with Paul Everson).
‘Stranger on the Shore: Gainsborough Old Hall - Yorkist ‘merchant chique’ in Lancastrian Lincolnshire?, in The Medieval Household (ed. C Woolgar), Shaun Tyas, Donington, forthcoming (2018).
‘William Morris and the Politics of Pots: who shall make our art?’, The Antiquaries Journal, (c.2018?) – not yet submitted. (Co-author with G Chitty).
‘Unfit for the Residence of a Minister’ – Old Church Cottage, Aubourn, and Clergy Expectations from Henry VIII to Victoria’, Lincolnshire History and Archaeology, 51, 2015 forthcoming (2018). (Co-author with Jenne Pape and others).
‘New Lords in Lincolnshire: making an impression in a remote county. The development of the hunting landscape of Tattershall chase’, Landscapes forthcoming.
‘Architectural fragments’ and ‘Architectural discussion’, Excavations at Clarendon Palace, Wiltshire (ed. T B James), University of Winchester, forthcoming (2020), Winchester.
‘Enclosures and Extensions. Exploring relationships between Urban Building Types and medieval Town planning’, Vernacular Architecture – not yet submitted.