Cultural Heritage Management 2: Museums, Audiences and Interpretation
- Critically evaluate the ways in which heritage is utilized in interpretation, education, the media and tourism.
- Consider access and social inclusion issues relevant to heritage places and the historic environment.
- Introduce issues of community participation in the curation, research, display and interpretation of artefacts and collections.
- Consider the relevance of new mobile and communicative technologies in heritage interpretation.
- Assess the related fields of heritage, memory and commemoration.
Upon completion of this module students should:
- Understand the role and responsibilities of heritage managers in heritage education, interpretation and tourism.
- Understand current policy initiatives in heritage interpretation, such as access and social inclusion.
- Have a working understanding of the interpretation process in heritage management.
- Have the skills to appraise the utility of interpretive and educational media.
- Be familiar with some of the current issues surrounding media and tourist interest in heritage.