- Where possible candidates should be assessed on a remote basis, reducing the need for candidates to incur additional expense
- Candidate expenses will be reimbursed from the central budget where the guidance on remote selection methods has been followed
- Receipts will be required for all expenses claimed (except mileage)
- The University will not normally refund expenses if the individual is offered an appointment and subsequently rejects it.
This guidance covers expenses incurred by candidates attending University recruitment and selection activities as a prospective employee. This includes inviting successful candidates to visit campus following a remote/online selection process.
For individuals who live approximately 20 miles or more outside of York travel expenses are reimbursed as follows:
- Cost of a return standard class rail fare to York. When possible, tickets should be booked in advance and off-peak trains should be used.
- Any claims for car mileage will be reimbursed at 45p per mile or the equivalent to the second class rail fare (whichever is the lowest).
- The cost of travel between York railway station and the University.
- For candidates travelling from overseas the cost of an economy airfare.
Refreshments and accomodation
Candidates are able to claim the cost of the overnight accommodation where this is necessary. When required to stay overnight candidates will be reimbursed the actual costs of meals and subsistence upto a limit of £120 for bed and breakfast and £30 towards all other meals for each night away from home.
There is a limited central budget to cover the cost of candidate expenses. Candidate expenses will be reimbursed from the central budget where there was an objective requirement for an assessment to be undertaken in person. This budget will typically cover the following:
- The cost of reasonable UK travel
- Any essential accommodation and meal expenses
- For academic posts (lecturer, senior lecturer, reader or professor), a maximum of £1,000 per position towards the cost of airfares
- For other posts a maximum of £250 per position towards the cost of airfares
Any additional costs must be met by the department.
- Interview expenses form [docx]
- Last reviewed: 31 August 2008