Please read this update on right to work checks during Covid-19
The Home Office has temporarily adjusted the requirements to make it easier for employers and workers during the coronavirus (Covid-19) restrictions.
As a new member of staff or a new casual worker, your right to work check will be carried out remotely by a member of the HR Compliance and Casual Worker team.
There are two options, dependent on your circumstances.
Option 1: Home Office online checking service
You may be able to provide evidence of your right to work via the Home Office's online right to work checking system. You are eligible to use this service if you have a:
- Biometric Residence Permit
- Biometric Residence Card
- Settled Status under EU Settlement Scheme
- Pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme
Process for online checking service
- Follow the instructions outlined by the Home Office to view your Home Office record and retrieve your share code.
- Provide your share code to us alongside scanned/photo copies of the following documents by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Passport photo page
- Front and back of Biometric Residence Permit/Card (if you have one)
- Term dates / confirmation of study letter (Tier 4 students only)
- We will then organise a short video call with you to complete the right to work check.
Option 2: Remote check and an in-person follow-up check
If you are not eligible to use the Home Office's online service (eg. holders of British/EU/EEA passports, some visa holders) we can conduct a remote check for you.
Process for remote check
- Email scanned/photo copies of your right to work documents to us at email@example.com
- We will organise a short video call with you to complete the right to work check.
Note: You will be asked to hold your original right to work documents up to the camera during the call and they will be checked against the emailed copy of the documents.
- A follow up appointment will be booked for you to present your original right to work documents once normal University operations resume.
Note on remote checks
The remote check is an interim measure to ensure that the changes to University operations due to Covid-19 do not impact your ability to begin your employment with us. We will need to see your original documents after the Covid-19 restrictions are lifted.
If you have any questions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org