If you are a new starter moving to York, the University may pay some of your relocation expenses.

Your offer of appointment letter will include the details of any relocation support available to you, this is typically up to 10% of your gross starting salary (subject to a maximum of £8,000). Support with relocation expenses are generally available to new starters who are:

This applies if you are:

  • in grade 6 or above
  • on a contract of two years or more
  • moving their main residence to take up your new appointment
  • moving to a new home within 25 miles of their new work location
  • moving from an old home of at least 40 miles from their new work location

If you're moving from overseas, you can also claim back the cost of a one-way economy air fare for yourself and the family members who are moving with you.

You cannot claim relocation expenses if:

  • you wait more than 12 months after your appointment to make your claim
  • your partner or another member of your household has received a similar payment

Full details of the qualifying criteria, permissible expenses and process for claiming relocation expenses are available within the relocation policy.

Read the relocation policy for more information and how to apply