Skip to content Accessibility statement
Home>About the University>Transport, maps and parking>Business travel

Business travel

Find out how to book business travel, accommodation, car hire and travel insurance.

The University’s Travel and Expenses Policy applies to all staff and students travelling on University business or for study requirements.

How to book business travel

We strongly recommend that you book business travel using the University’s preferred travel suppliers: NYS Corporate and Selective Travel Management.

Updated guidance

UEB has approved interim guidance restricting travel to business critical trips only. This will be reviewed again in September.

The University's Travel and Expenses policy has recently been updated to allow booking from other suppliers; however it is still strongly recommended that you book with our contracted suppliers.This means that departments will now have to pay booking fees.

Find out more about the guidance and the fee changes:

1. Create a Traveller Profile

Before you can make a booking, you will need to register with NYS and Selective Travel Management by emailing your Department's Travel Rep with your name and title, exactly as they appear on your passport.

Once you have submitted your profile information, you will receive confirmation within 48 hours along with your login details. You will then be able to make a booking.

We recommend registering with both suppliers so that you can compare prices to find the best value.


2. Make a booking

To check prices or make a booking, either login to your chosen supplier’s travel portal, or contact their respective travel desk team

The online booking tools cover UK rail and London Underground, flights and hotels. They are comparable to other internet comparison sites for travel and find the most competitive prices for your travel and accommodation.

The supplier’s travel desk team can also provide you with a quotation for your travel. This is a good option if your itinerary is complex or if you can’t find suitable options online. If your preferred hotel is fully booked online, please contact the travel team.

Both suppliers offer a price match policy. If you find a cheaper price elsewhere for the same transport or accommodation, let them know.


How to book UK car hire

Car hire is booked through the University’s preferred supplier, Enterprise.

Enterprise offers a range of vehicles for hire from compact cars to commercial vehicles. It is possible to hire vehicles by the day or by the hour.

The University also have an Enterprise Car Club short term hire car, parked at Market Square.

1. Register as an Authorised Driver

All staff who drive on University business must register as an Authorised Driver. This applies to hire vehicles. For more information on motor insurance,visit the Health and Safety web page.

If you need to hire a vehicle for yourself

Complete and submit the Authorised Driver form and DVLA licence summary.. If your licence was issued outside the UK, please submit a copy of both sides of your driving licence. Holders of non-UK licences must also complete the second page of the form.

If you are an administrator booking a hire vehicle for a colleague

Please check that they are currently registered as an Authorised Driver.

2. Pick your rental type

Daily rental

Vehicles are supplied by the local branch of Enterprise and can be delivered to the University (free of charge) or to your home address (charge applies). One-way hire is also possible. The minimum rental period is one day and vehicles can be hired for a number of weeks if required. Vehicles must be booked using the business-to-business (B2B) online booking tool. All hire rates include insurance cover.

Hourly rental

Car Club vehicles are available across the UK. Use the online booking system to check where the closest vehicle is. Vehicles can be hired for a minimum of one hour. Significant cost savings can be made using the Car Club if the vehicle is required for just a short time.

3. Making your booking

Once you have decided which option is best, email your Department's Travel Rep to request access to the booking tool. Please confirm whether you need access to the B2B tool (daily rental) or Car Club tool (hourly rental) in your email.

You will receive confirmation within 48 hours along with your login details.


Obtaining travel insurance

Staff and students travelling overseas on University business will normally be covered by the University’s business travel insurance, provided they register the details of their trip on the Travel Log.

The Travel Log asks you to confirm that you've assessed any risks associated with the destination or activities undertaken during your trip.

Find further details about our travel insurance, any cover restrictions and risk assessments on the Health, Safety and Security website.

Claiming overseas travel expenses or a cash advance

If you travel overseas on University business for a longer period of time, you can apply for a cash advance to cover incidental business expenses you incur on the trip.

Cash advance rules

  • the minimum amount for a cash advance is foreign currency worth £250
  • you will need to account for expenditure against your advance when you return, so keep receipts for all expenditure incurred
  • the advance must not be used for any personal expenditure
  • you need to give a minimum of three days notice (preferably longer) before your trip, for foreign currency as this needs to be ordered as cash.
  • please consider your personal safety when carrying cash with you. University travel insurance only covers up to £1,000 in cash. If you require a higher limit for a specific trip, contact the insurance team via The limit increase should be documented in your travel risk assessment, including security measures you will take when carrying cash
  • we recommend keeping cash to a minimum and paying advances into your bank account instead, so you can draw this out in smaller amounts or pay for business items using your bank card. We recognise that this will incur some charges, but these will be covered by the advance  
  • our insurers (via +44 (0)1243 621556) can arrange for an emergency cash advance to replace cash which has been lost or stolen overseas. Any emergency funds provided will be deducted from any subsequent claim, or must be refunded to the University.

How to apply for a cash advance

If your department has a finance team, please contact them first.

  1. Complete and sign the Overseas Travel cash advance application form (MS Excel , 100kb). Employee number or student number must be filled in.
  2. The departmental authoriser will sign the form to authorise the application.
  3. Once completed, scan and email the form to:
  4. You will receive email confirmation that your claim has been approved and sent for processing. 
  5. If you requested foreign currency you will need to collect it from the Cash Office in Market Square before your trip (email to arrange this).

If you requested the cash advance to be paid directly into your bank account,it will be paid in the next payment run. The deadline each week for receipt of authorised cash advances is 5pm on Friday, with payment being made on the Friday of the following week. Contact the Accounts Payable team ( for any bank payment queries.

What to do when you return from your trip

  1. All cash advances must be accounted for within four weeks of your return
  2. Send a copy of your 'Overseas Travel cash advance application form' to your department's finance or admin team together with all receipts attached and coded to where you want to charge the costs of your trip, ie account or work order.
  3. They will check and agree it, and then forward it to Finance for processing. 
  4. Exchange rate losses or gains should be coded to account code 2908.
  5. Pay any surplus money left from your advance into the Cash Office in sterling (convert the foreign currency at a bank or post office) using a Cash Receipt Form.  Code to account 9138 for staff or 9136 for students and note the amount paid back on your original application form.

If you have spent more on business items than your cash advance, claim for the excess using an expense claim form.