Dr Wayne Campbell is the Academic Registrar.
The Academic Registrar:
- is responsible for all of the touchpoints on the student journey from the point of registration to graduation and beyond.
- leads all key Student and Academic Services, including Student Administration and Academic Affairs, Student Careers and Systems, Student Life and Wellbeing, the Library, Archives and Learning Services and Online Learning.
Support for students
Wayne says: “One of the reasons I applied to York was because my daughter was a student here. I was amazed at the greeting she got when I brought her, and at graduation I saw the allegiance that students felt for their colleges. It was a positive experience for her and for me as a parent.”
He highlights some aspects of work supported by the Directorate:
- the Support to Study programme, which helps vulnerable students who are at risk of dropping out
- York being cited as an example of good practice by the Office for Students for our work with care leavers and estranged students
- the work of our Sexual Violence Liaison Officers to tackle sexual violence by supporting victims
- skills training and digital creativity, student employability and inclusive learning
- York for Life, the University’s new digital platform, bringing our entire global community of students, alumni and staff together in one shared space of professional support, inspiration and debate.
About Wayne Campbell
Before coming to the University of York as Academic Registrar in January 2019, Wayne was Director of Student Services and Senior Master at the University of Kent. Prior to that he held the role of Academic Registrar at the Universities of Essex and Lincoln. He has worked as a senior manager in higher education for over 22 years.
His experience extends to all aspects of the student journey from admission to graduation and beyond, including higher education administration, enhancing the quality of teaching and learning, student life and employability.
My passion is the student experience. That’s what drives me. When you come to university you should have the best possible experience, and the onus is on us to offer a good student life in and out of the classroom.
Dr Wayne Campbell, Academic Registrar
Wayne is a graduate in Biochemistry from the University of Kent, where he also gained a PhD in Biotechnology, and possesses two Masters’ degrees from the Universities of Cambridge and Loughborough. He is a Fellow of the Association of University Administrators.
His working life started as a Senior Research Associate at the Royal Postgraduate Medical School, University of London, before making the deliberate transition into higher education administration.
Wayne is married with three daughters. He enjoys early morning runs through the streets of York, visiting historic houses and walking in the countryside. He is a fan of international rugby, good food and full bodied New World red wine.
Below are the travel costs and expenses for Dr Campbell, the Academic Registrar, for the period September 2020 until July 2021.
NB: Dr Campbell joined the Board in September 2020.