In 2014 the University Senate and Council approved the establishment of three faculties, one for each of the three main subject areas (arts and humanities, sciences and social sciences).
The purpose of the faculties is to:
- improve lines of communication
- ensure better coordination of inter-disciplinary activities
- establish more effective means of implementing University-wide strategies and initiatives
- engender a stronger sense of common purpose across the discipline groups
Each of the faculties is governed by a Faculty Board which reports to the University Senate.
Terms of Reference for Faculty Boards
- To act as a forum for discussing University-wide strategies
- To act as a forum for considering information and data relating to the performance of the faculty and its constituent departments
- To discuss inter-disciplinary initiatives
- To consider the implications of the University’s research strategy for the discipline group
- To consider the implications of the University’s learning and teaching strategy for the discipline group
- To raise matters with Senate, sub-committees of Senate (in particular, Teaching Committee, Research Committee and Planning Committee) and The University Executive Board