Support during the coronavirus pandemic
We recognise that while these unprecedented times are challenging for everyone, the restrictions placed on our normal day to day lives are likely to have a different and disproportionate impact on members of our LGBTQ+ community.
Being at home and practising social distancing for an extended period of time may cause particular complications and worsen existing difficulties for members of the community, whether that be linked to spending increased time at home with family members and/or friends, or due to prolonged periods of social isolation. It's important we are all aware of support available to us, as well as doing what we can to support each other during these difficult times.
University support and guidance
The University’s coronavirus pages are regularly updated with new information.
For students: Support is available through the Student Hub, Open Door Team, Disability Services, along with your academic supervisor, colleges, YUSU or GSA, Nightline. There is also the external anonymous phone line Big White Wall.
LGBTI+ Matters Staff Network: The University’s LGBTI+ Matters Staff Network has a group of visible allies who can be contacted on an informal basis for a chat about the network and the LGBT+ community at York.
YUSU LGBTQ Network: The network is made up of University LGBTQ+ students and its aim is to provide support and representation for all members of the LGBTQ+ student community. For more information visit their Facebook page you can also contact the LGBTQ Officers directly at email@example.com.
- Central ED&I webpages
- Trans staff and students in higher education: improving experiences (internal use only)
- Guide for HR staff, managers and staff supporting students who are transitioning
- LGBT Foundation - A guide to being a trans ally (PDF , 20,302kb)
- Equality, diversity and inclusion - a practical guide for staff (PDF , 596kb)
- Inclusive and accessible events - good practice guidance (PDF , 594kb)
External support and guidance
- LGBT Foundation - this national LGBT charity are running their support helpline as usual, and welcome calls or emails from anyone worried about the impacts of coronavirus. They have developed a Wellbeing Hub and published research on how Covid-19 impacts members of the LGBT+ community.
- Mermaids provides advice and guidance for Trans people and their families
- York LGBT Forum - keep connected with your local community groups via their webpage or Facebook group.
- Galop is a national LGBT+ anti-violence charity that has a domestic abuse helpline.
- The Stonewall Housing - are a specialised organisation that have an advice line for support at 02073596242 with LGBTQ+ housing workers for every person that doesn't feel safe.
- Switchboard - Switchboard is an LGBTQ+ helpline that people can contact should they need to. Switchboard also has an emotional wellbeing support pack which can be accessed for free.
- Outlife Website - Outlife is a forum for LGBTQ+ people to talk to one another about issues and personal experiences.
- Akt Website - akt supports LGBTQ+ young people aged 16-25 in the uk who are facing or experiencing homelessness or living in a hostile environment.
- LGBT Foundation’s Essential Guide to LGBT Rights and Covid-19
- LGBT Foundation online events
- Stonewall top tips to keep busy lockdown
- York LGBT Forum events calendar
- Pride Vibe - York's weekly LGBT+ radio show
- Download the Galop Trans Resilience in Isolation PowerPoint
- Find your online writing community with Out on the Page
- Spreadsheet of free LGBT films to watch online
- 9 Strategies for Quarantining in a Non-LGBTQ+ Affirming Environment