Human learning, memory and cognition. Special focus on working memory.
- Modeling temporal grouping and serial order in verbal short-term memory, with Mark Hurlstone and Tom Hartley
- Binding in visual working memory, with Alan Baddeley, Richard Allen, Taiji Ueno, Satoru Saito, and Judit Mate
- Information integration in visual working memory, with Philip Quinlan
- Competitive processes in goal maintenance, with Alan Baddeley, Satoru Saito and Erina Saeki
- Word learning in normal and dyslexic adults, with Meesha Warmington
- Executive control and literacy development with Dr Meesha Warmington and Dr Selma Babayigit
- Adult Cognition and Neuropsychology
- Cognitive Development And Developmental Neuropsychology
- Language Processing
- Leverhulme Trust (£217,890): Principal Investigator: Executive control, working memory and literacy skills in bilingual children with Dr Meesha Warmington and Dr Selma Babayigit (July 2013-June 2015)
- Becky Prince
Timing of subvocal rehearsal, supervised jointly with Tom Hartley
- Smyth, M.M., Hay, D.C., Hitch, G.J., & Horton, N.J. (2005). Serial position memory in the visuo-spatial domain: Reconstructing sequences of unfamiliar faces. Quarterly Journal of Experimental Psychology, 58A, 909-930.
- Towse, J. N., Hitch, G. J., Hamilton, Z., Peacock, K., & Hutton, U. M. Z. (2005). Working memory period: the endurance of mental representations. Quarterly Journal of Experimental Psychology, 58A, 547-571.
- Hitch, G.J., Fastame, M.C. & Flude, B.(2005). How is the serial order of a verbal sequence coded? Some comparisons between models. Memory, 3-4, 247-258.
- Burgess, N. and G. J. Hitch (2006). A revised model of short-term memory and long-term learning of verbal sequences. Journal of Memory and Language. 55, 627-652.
- Allen, R.J., Baddeley, A.D. & Hitch, G.J. (2006). The binding of visual features in working memory: Is integration automatic or resource demanding? Journal of Experimental Psychology: General, 135, 298-313.
- Towse, J.N., Hitch, G.J. & Horton, N. (2007). Working memory as the interface between processing and retention: A developmental perspective. Advances in Child Development and Behavior, 35, 219- 251.
- Hitch, G.J., Flude, B. & Burgess, N. (2009). Slave to the rhythm: Experimental tests of a model for verbal short-term memory and long-term sequence learning. Journal of Memory and Language, 61, 97-111.
- Baddeley, A.D., Hitch, G.J. & Allen, R.J. (2009). Working memory and binding in sentence recall. Journal of Memory and Language, 61, 438-456.
- Towse, J.N., Hitch, G.J., Horton, N. & Harvey, K. (2010). Synergies between processing and memory in children’s reading span. Developmental Science, 13, 779-789.
- Williamson, V., Mitchell, T., Hitch, G.J. & Baddeley, A.D. (2010). Musicians' memory for verbal and tonal materials under conditions of irrelevant sound. Psychology of Music, 38, 331-350.
- Williamson, V., Baddeley, A.D., & Hitch, G.J. (2010). Musicians’ and nonmusicians’ short-term memory for verbal and musical sequences: Comparing phonological similarity and pitch proximity. Memory and Cognition, 38, 163-175.
- Karlsen, P.J., Allen, R.J., Baddeley, A.D. & Hitch, G.J. (2010). Binding Across Space and Time in Visual Working Memory. Memory and Cognition, 38, 292-303.
- Baddeley, A.D. & Hitch, G.J. Working memory. (2010). Scholarpedia, 5, 3015.
- Baddeley, A.D., Allen, R.J. & Hitch, G.J. (2010). Investigating the episodic buffer. Psychologica Belgica, 50, 223-243.
- Ueno, T., Allen, R.J., Hitch, G.J., Baddeley, A.D & Saito, S. (2011). Disruption of visual feature binding in working memory. Memory and Cognition, 39, 12-23.
- Ueno, T., Mate, J., Allen, R.J., Hitch, G.J. & Baddeley, A.D. (2011). What goes through the gate? Exploring interference with visual feature binding . Neuropsychologia, 49 , 1597-1604 .
- Baddeley, A., Allen, R.J., & Hitch, G.J. (2011). Binding in visual working memory: The role of the episodic buffer. Neuropsychologia, 49, 1393-1400.
- Hu, Y., Xu, Z. & Hitch , G.J. (2011). Strategic and automatic effects of visual working memory on attention in visual search. Visual Cognition, 19, 799-816.
- Vredeveldt, A., Hitch, G.J. & Baddeley, A.D. (2011). Eye closure helps memory by reducing cognitive load and enhancing visualisation. Memory and Cognition, 39, 1253-1263.
- Hitch, G.J. Working memory. (2012) In: Braisby, N.R. & Gellatly, A.R.H. (Eds.), Cognitive psychology. (2ndEdition). (pp. 266-295). Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Allen, R.J., Hitch, G.J., Mate, J. & Baddeley, A.D. (2012). Feature binding and attention in working memory: A resolution of previous contradictory findings. Quarterly Journal of Experimental Psychology, 65,2369-2383.
- Warmington, M., Hitch, G.J. & Gathercole, S.E. (2013). Improving word learning in children using an errorless technique. Journal of Experimental Child Psychology, 114, 2013, 456-465.
- Page, M.P.A., Cumming, G., Norris, D. McNeil. A.M., & Hitch, G.J. (2013). Repetition-spacing and item-overlap effects in the Hebb repetition task. Journal of Memory and Language, 69, 506-526.
- Saeki, E., Baddeley, A.D., Hitch, G.J., Saito, S. (2013). Breaking a habit: A further role of the phonological loop in action control. Memory and Cognition, 41, 1065-1078.
Full publications list
For full publication list please see Google Scholar Profile.